1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clint Eastwood to Spike Lee: STFU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

"... a whole lotta sugar."

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Excellent work, people. I've also always liked these lines from "A Fistful of Dollars":

Headed off to a gunfight, passing by the undertaker: "Get three coffins ready."

Walking back a minute or so later: "My mistake - four coffins."

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"When you see a skinny black man chasing a naked nurse down the street with a Panaflex, you can safely assume he's not out collecting for the Red Cross."

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Clint: "You dirty rat!"
    Spike: "Go ahead. Buy Ben Gay."

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm probably virtually alone, but my favorite Callahan movies were The Guantlet (the eponymous setup was so over the top it was awesome) and The Dead Pool (Eastwood letting the supporting players carry the water). But the best Eastwood as cop movie was probably Tightrope; actually showed him as human.

But perhaps my favorite Eastwood was in Bridges of Madison County[/mancardtossedintrash] or Josey Wales [/getsreplacementmancard]

6. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

Unforgiven.

The Schofield Kid: [after killing a man for the first time] It don't seem real... how he ain't gonna never breathe again, ever... how he's dead. And the other one too. All on account of pulling a trigger.
    Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
    The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
    Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This doesn't even come close the most "headline-hunting" comments Lee has made.
    That honor goes to him suing SpikeTV because he thought people would think he had something to do with it.
    Or maybe its campaigning to replace Norman Jewison to head up Malcom X.
    Lee is a great director, but these dust-ups he gets into seem to come around when he is making a new film and is trying to get some pub or more financing for the project.
    For the record, his initial comments about Flags of Our Fathers came while pushing his latest project about an all-black U.S. Army unit in WWII in Italy.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Spike knows how to raise controversy. The "Tawana Told the Truth" drawing in "Do the Right Thing"; the "X" hats and call for kids to take the day off from school for the first day of the Malcolm movie; the DJ's list of names of famous black singers in "Do the Right Thing" which did not include Michael Jackson. He says interesting things and he's got a great PR department.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

My personal favorite:

Bounty hunter #1: You're wanted, Wales.
    Josey Wales: Reckon I'm right popular. You a bounty hunter?
    Bounty hunter #1: A man's got to do something for a living these days.

Josey Wales: Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I have to watch Pale Rider every time it's on.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

"The Gauntlet" was not a Dirty Harry movie. He didn't play Harry Callahan and it was set in Arizona, not San Francisco, anyway.
    Horace with the shotgun? Looks a whole lot like the guy who asks "I gots to know" from the original "Dirty Harry," doesn't he?
    And is it just me, or does anyone else hear "Don't Give Up on Us Baby" when "Magnum Force" comes on?
    Oh, and Spike should shut the fuck up on this one. The few black marines on Iwo Jima weren't involved in the taking of Suribachi and the group that was there raising the flag was about as diverse as you could get without any African-Americans in the group. (White, American Indian, and possibly Hispanic too raising the flag).

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Can someone please post the article for those of us firewalled from accessing AOL sites?

Draft saved Draft deleted