1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A lot of people had trouble believing the world was really round.

Man is definitely at least significantly responsible. 50%? More? Less? I don't know. Just America? Of course not. But us, India, China, and others bear responsibility. To even suggest otherwise is bullish stubborness.

2. The problem is, things like Kyoto are harder on the U.S. than they are on India and China, although they are much-heavier polluters. (Larger countries, granted, but still ...)

If man is as responsible as you say, then what caused Titanic climatic changes 10,000 years ago?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Problem is I can find you hundreds of scientists who have boatloads of data that show and actually take the history of the world into account, but your side says they don't count and only your scientists count. Of course, your guys were crying about global cooling in the 70s, so I guess they're rock solid.

You refuse to see that global warming is much more a political movement than a scientific one. But then you're a liberal and liberals always view life through a political spectrum first and a common sense spectrum last.

4. old_tony

Simple question: What was responsible for the warming cycles we know happened before man?

5. old_tony

Such a simple question and not a single one of the geniuses has stepped up to answer?

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Because they don't want to admit they are wrong. Global warming is true but man has nothing to do with it. The earth goes through cool down and warming cycles that have more to do with the position of the Earth in relation to the sun and the relative gravitational pull of each planet.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Apparently some people are too dumb to notice when they're being ignored.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

See, Old_tony? indiansnetwork agrees with you. Validation is great, isn't it?

9. old_tony

It's a smart ploy on your part when you're overmatched to claim you're ignoring. It's a pretty simple question. What caused the warming periods before men? You know they happened. And you apparently think you know what causes warming. So what caused those warming periods?

Or you could be intellectually honest and admit you have not a single fucking clue. But intellectual honesty has never been a staple of the left.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Since I'm such a flexible person, I'll make a deal.

Admit that the 1:1,000,000 chance that you'll ever be the victim of a terrorist attack is nothing to worry about, nothing to spend billions of dollars about, nothing to go to war about . . .

. . . and I'll admit that my chances of being affected by global warming is nothing to worry about.

Deal?

11. old_tony

Well, considering we've seen hundreds and hundreds of terrorist attacks over the years that have killed thousands upon thousands, but we've not seen one single person harmed by any perceived or provable global warming incident, it would be a pretty dumb deal for me to take.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Actually people have died from global warming.
    Lordy I need to be writing and I'm dinking away at this nonsense.
    Anyway, the heat waves that swept through Europe last summer or two summers ago. Closer to home, if the Gulf Coast hurricanes were made Category 5's instead of 2's or 3's, due to the increased surface temp of the Gulf, which was caused by climate change, than lots of people have died and the economic impact has been in the billions.
    That's just a couple.
    Again, no one serious disputes climate change, but what is disputed is the why.

Draft saved Draft deleted