1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I didn't even mention the hickory and oak trees. I have a sack full of nuts.

Batman and maumann like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That's on a tee for someone other than me.

maumann likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Breaking from the East Troublesome fire in upland Colorado: Grand Lake Fire Department is being told not to save any building that’s already on fire. No reinforcements available until 10 a.m. MT.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

5. 2muchcoffeeman

6. 2muchcoffeeman

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Terrible night. Grand Lake is an awesome, quirky little town. I’ve had a lot of great times there since moving to Colorado 12 years ago.

Sadly the area is surrounded by trees killed by the mountain pine beetle epidemic 10-12 years ago. One of my closest friends has a cabin just outside town and we’d stand in the deck, look out at endless views of grey dead trees and speculate about this very scenario.

I *think* the fire is pushing north of his property at the moment but they’ll be lucky to get out of this with that house intact. Really terrible night.

maumann likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

I’ve been lucky enough to vacation at the C Lazy U guest ranch near Granby. Best vacations ever. I know they’ve evacuated all the people and the remuda this week. I think the fires are passing north of there.

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

That is heart wrenching

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Jesus. My heart goes out to everyone involved. Bless the firemen. I've worked with a bunch of those crazy bastards and have mad respect for what they do and endure.

God help them all.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

East Troublesome blew up massively yesterday, obviously:

And now it could get even worse.

Here’s that on a map:

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It grew 100,000 acres in the last ~12 hours. And they're expecting similar conditions today.

At least it looks like the heart of the town was spared but who knows today. That area east and north of the town, though, is nothing but dead trees waiting to get torched. At least not a lot of houses.

03C63268-9549-4D81-BBF2-2F71563B8916.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted