1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Add to that the sense there's a feeling of apathy about it in America -- and there should be -- because of places like China and India where it's not even a political issue and yet they keep pumping out as much or more pollution as we do. If everyone isn't going to check themselves, then what's the point?
    And then add to that the apparent scam and hypocrisy of carbon offsets and things of that nature that do no more than make a few people rich, and it's not hard to see where people figure they can live with an extra degree or two 50 years down the road.

cjericho and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So you've gone from denial to "so what?" If so, that is at least a more honest approach. It's not that you don't understand that we are fucking with the planet. You just don't care.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The only one in denial are the people who insist there's warming despite the nearly 20-year pause.

But I guess computer models mean more than what's actually fucking happening.

4. outofplace

My mistake. I thought you were ready for an honest discussion of the issue. I should have known better.

5. old_tony

So why did your side have to invent the term "the pause?"

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

As long as oop disagrees, you're on the right track.

cjericho and old_tony like this.
  7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Tony, if you really want the "dumbest member of SJ.com" title, we can make another trophy.

SnarkShark and doctorquant like this.
  8. outofplace

Sorry, Tony, I'm not going to debate science with people who insist on dismissing it any time it interferes with their political or religious views. I thought you chose to move past that and you proved you have not.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For those who believe we need to cut our energy use back to 1960s levels, how do you plan to cut our population back to 1960s levels?

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Energy "use" isn't the problem; it's how clean the energy use is.

We were spitting out much more pollution in 1960 than we are today. Take a look at old photographs of Pittsburgh. Wife was surprised when she got her first look at American cars and remarked, "Hey, there's no black smoke coming out." Yes, dear, but there used to be.

That's China's argument against us. They say, with some degree of accuracy, "You guys belched out pollution for generations before you started putting curbs on it. Why can't we do the same?"

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    Stoney likes this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Planned parenthood

12. old_tony

Yeah, it wasn't my side of the argument that got caught with emails admitting they had to lie about the data.

Draft saved Draft deleted