1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think the world would shit itself if there was a worldwide power outage and then they saw what the sky looked like a few hundred years ago.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This morning: When I ran, I was wearing three layers, gloves, and a toboggan. There was frost on the ground.
    This evening: I grilled supper on the back deck. I was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops.

Yeah, that's perfectly logical.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We had 6 inches of snow here yesterday. Nearly 20 inches 25 miles from me. Today, the sun is out, temps in the mid-50s, all the snow on my south-facing side of the house is gone. Walked the dog without a jacket. Not quite shorts weather, but it was close. But for here, that is pretty much not out of the norm for this time of year.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Driftwood likes this.
  5. Driftwood

It's mid May. It's been in the 30s each of the last four mornings with frost advisories. We've had to cover plants. A guy I work with said he had to scrape his truck windshield either Friday or Saturday.
    I'll be 49 this year. Never in my life do I remember the weather being so f'd up.
    We never had a ground covering snow this year, which is also something I don't remember. It hit 80 in February.

It's supposed to hit seasonal temps on Thursday and beyond. I sure hope it stays that way.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We're 11 days into May and I think we've had three 80-degree days this year in Central Virginia. No snow during the winter. I was sitting on my porch Saturday afternoon in a thick hoodie and I was still cold. It's pretty unheard of in my neck of the woods. Judging by the forecast, it looks like we'll get sustained seasonal warmth finally starting on Thursday. Has been an odd weather year for sure.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I ran the heat several times in the last week. In May. In Alabama.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Driftwood

It's 81 right now, and it feels great. I've been outside all day.
    Although, seeing as how it was in the low 30s a couple of mornings this week, that 50-degree swing is certainly noticeable. Wow.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It’s 81° at my house but it’s overcast and humid as hell. Expecting storms to roll in after dark. In other words, just another day in mid-May.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

During the first two weeks of May, we got plenty of nights in the 50's and 60's, and one that hit 48. That's pretty cool for around here. We've started to hit the mid-80's during the day.

We won't see another night below maybe 65, 68 until October.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It was close to or above 100 in the Bay Area earlier this week. It's now cold and raining.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

YouTube wants nothing to do with Michael Moore's doc on climate change.

‘Planet Of The Humans’ EP Michael Moore Reacts To Documentary Yanked Off YouTube – Deadline

Moore and writer-producer Gibbs told Deadline they discovered today that their film, which has racked more than 8.3 million views in a month-plus, was taken down from YouTube after a copyright claim was lodged against the documentary over four seconds of footage it contains.

“This attempt to take down our film and prevent the public from seeing it is a blatant act of censorship by political critics of Planet of the Humans,” Gibbs said in a statement provided exclusively to Deadline (read it below). “It is a misuse of copyright law to shut down a film that has opened a serious conversation about how parts of the environmental movement have gotten into bed with Wall Street and so-called ‘green capitalists.’ There is absolutely no copyright violation in my film.”

Draft saved Draft deleted