1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's the middle of April. I wore a sweater to work yesterday, and the heat just came on in my house . . . even though we always keep the heating at only 65. I don't live in the North.

Give me some global warming . . . or get me back to Florida.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

View from my window.

Attached Files:

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ok, I've finally heard something stupider from a Congressman than how Guam Island was going to capsize and sink due to the weight of the military equipment shipped there.

It's from Alabama Congressman Mo Brooks, which isn't a big surprise given his runaway idiocy, but even for Mo this is a good one. Rock and soil erosion into the sea is causing sea level to rise, not global warming. Seriously. This from a member of the House Science Committee.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I’m sure the House Science Committee, regardless of which party controls the House, is where the bestest brains wind up.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"I'm sure the House Science Committee, regardless of which party controls the House, is where the bestest brains wind up."

FIFY.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Mendocino fire overtakes previous largest fire in California history - which happened....nine months ago.

You think about the advances in technology, firefighting etc. and the two largest fires happen in back to back years.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The state should stop diverting water into the Pacific so there would be more to fight the fires! #MakeCaliforniaWetAgain

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

These fires are the reason why people should not be ignoring the falling snowpack numbers in the mountains.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I know it's nothing like the California wildfires, but we have had so little rain this summer that the river that runs through town is nearly dry. In the fall, it's a centuries-old salmon run, and I'm not sure there will be enough water for them to make their way up. Which will deplete salmon stocks in the lake, obviously, seeing as they're swimming upstream to give birth.

The ripple effects of climate change, large and small, are almost impossible to count.

11. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The most critical factor in climate change is the one no one ever addresses - population control. No matter what steps to be more "green" societies take, they are overwhelmed by the increasing population, all of whom need more energy, transportation, water, food, manufactured products, housing etc. That is the fact that no one is willing to face, until it is on the table and included in the calculus, nothing will stop the eventual destruction of the planet.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK, so how do you propose we address this?

Draft saved Draft deleted