1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cliff Lee going back to Philly ... this needs its own thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A reminder. After Opening Day and after the first game of the playoffs, there is no number one starter, just starters. The rotation and schedule take control.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Halladay remains the best pitcher in baseball.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I still can't believe he left money on the table to go to Philadelphia.

Has anyone ever said anything good about Philadelphia?

And to the Phillies? After they traded him because they thought he would chase every last dollar in salary negotiations.

He's like a spurned lover begging for forgiveness.

But, I won't root against him. It's not like LeBron. The Phillies should be fun to watch.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wonder if it has anything to do with pitching in the National League vs. pitching in the American League.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I might be wrong but it seems like I recall that Lee never sold his house in Philly.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Wait until we find out if Amaro trades one of the other three away, under the guise of "filling other holes." He did it a year ago.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

As someone posted on Twitter last night, a union hasn't been this pissed off at an Arkansan since Bill Clinton signed NAFTA.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good point. Wouldn't surprise me to see Oswalt gone if they can find a taker.

9. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Thank you for someone to finally mention this! Remember that right now the Phillies' outfield is an aging Raul Ibanez, a decent player in Shane Victorino and a pu pu platter of Ross Gload/Ben Francisco/Domonic Brown. Brown may figure it out and be great and take care of that problem, but that's a huge question mark. Plus, Rollins, Utley and to a lesser extent Howard have been trending down. What once was a sick offense is now fairly average.

Can that rotation cover those deficiencies? Over the course of a 162-game season, of course it can. But in the playoffs, you need a clutch hit or two, and the Phillies' lineup is full of strikeouts and holes.

Since Oswalt's contract is up after this year, he'd be the most likely to be traded, but if the Phillies want to get most value, it's Hamels (no way they trade Lee or Halladay). It should be fun to see how it plays out.

10. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Easy questions: Why not New York? Why not Texas?

Tough question: Why Philadelphia?

It's not like there wasn't more time to explore the market. I'm interested to see where the consensus will settle on this one, but I wonder if we'll ever really know. Maybe Lee will tell us.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Phuck Philly. I hope all their arms fall off.

/disgruntled me

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Philly is one of classiest organizations around from Dave Montgomery on down.

This move by Lee really does not surprise me.

Draft saved Draft deleted