1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clevelanders: Halp!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 8, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I've been away from Northern Ohio too long. Just got a screwy little assignment to compile some nutrition information on favorite tailgate foods and local comfort foods (for a fall issue). Have to write two versions: one for Cincinnati and one for Cleveland. I've got Cincy locked down... but having trouble thinking of NE Ohio "comfort foods." Swear to God, not a single one coming to mind.

Suggestions?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Anything cooked in or with beer.

Ribs (Can you convince your boss you need to go to the Rib Cook-Off? If so, go)

http://www.cleveland.com/rib/

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does Cleveland have a big Polish population?

Hopefully you put cinnamon in your Cincy chili.

4. chester

chester Member

There is a strong Eastern European presence in the city.

And you can never go wrong with beer, since it's what most Cleveland sports fans use to comfort themselves after another 4-12 Browns season.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Cinnamon and a little cocoa. (And, IMHO, Gold Star kicks Skyline's ass. Dear God, I've lived here too long.)

As for Cleveland, what about perogies? My fam is part Polish, so those were kind of big, but not sure how widespread that is through the rest of the area.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Artichokes. :D

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hate you.

I hate you more.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Well done.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Did someone say Cleveland? Two of my all-time favorite youtube videos:

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Those are brilliant!

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yup, one of those is in my sig.

Anyway as far as comfort food in Northeast Ohio, it really depends on which ethnic group you're dealing with as there's really no geographic centric go-to comfort food for the region.

Tailgate foods are pretty much the same as anywhere else. The one exception being home made cookies of all sorts. I think it carries over from the wedding traditions of the region.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Some expert Cleveland tailgaters have put up a website:

http://www.thebrownsboard.com/tailgate.htm

There's also a book about Cleveland tailgating called The BrownsFan's Tailgating Guide.

Pierogies is really the only Cleveland specialty food that might be at a tailgate.

Draft saved Draft deleted