1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland Browns lay off 15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 22, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What difference does it make if you say you don't need it?

The PR staffs will still print far too many copies of it and leave stacks and stacks of them laying around the press box after the game.

There is no question that there is far too much wasting of paper going on in every press box in America.

As for the size of the staffs -- I don't buy the idea that just because these people work long hours that they are working hard or that they couldn't do the same stuff with less personnel.

Media relations people tend to be rah rah "i love my job" types who all think of themselves as part of a team and they want to prove how hard they are working by working long hours -- though it has been my observation that they could get their work done in less hours if they worked smarter and didn't waste so much time bullshitting around the office and meeting for no reason other than to have a meeting.

I'm not saying media relations people don't work hard -- I'm saying they don't work very smart and many of them have this need for a "martyr" complex so they end up working long hours and staying at the office until the wee hours when really, they don't need to in order to get their shit done.

That being said -- I have a hard time swallowing any lay-offs by a sports organization which was willing to pay its coach (if it got Cowher) 10 million a year.......

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Let's have a giant pity party.
    Plan Bs are rapidly becoming nonexistent ?
    Good Lord !
    Next, we'll hear that the sky is falling.

Victims?
    Sheesh !

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You make less sense with every post.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

agreed:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/38289874.html

5. Sharky22

Sharky22 Member

I'm waiting for Moddy to weigh in here. This is becoming amazing.

PR people work too much? There's too much paper passed around? You have got to be kidding me.

I dare each and every one of you who have any issues with any media relations people to go step in their shoes for one day. Just one day.

None of you have any damn clue as to what really goes on until you've watched them for a day. Then you can go ahead and claim anything you want. Until then, do yourselves a favor and just keep quiet.

The fact that Blitz even seems remotely happy that a PR staff got reduced because they were "overstaffed" is repugnant and embarrassing. And I get jumped on because I have issue with that.

Just embarrassing.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Except that's McManamon with the Beacon-Journal.

here's Pluto:

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2009/01/terrys_talkin_carmonas_comebac.html

It's about halfway down.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

my bad, ijag. it was my buddy patrick who hit the brownies hardest, not suck-up pluto.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/mcmanamon/38289874.html

8. imjustagirl

Right. That's the point though. Patrick's never pulled punches (and hell, he wrote for their site for a while), but Pluto usually isn't the hard-hitting type. So for him to call the team out like he did was more out of character than Patrick doing the same.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

gotcha. ;) :D 8)

10. imjustagirl

From McManamon's column:

That was EXACTLY my argument when I wrote my post giving up on the Browns a couple years ago. I want to believe there's a plan. That they're working toward something. I can't keep investing in something that just regenerates into more crap.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

i understand your concerns, ijag. mangini sold lerner a bridge. he clueless, imo. doesn't seem to have learned any lessons in n.y.

i'm very much a skeptic when it comes to this guy. i hope for your sake -- and many other friends who are browns devotees -- that i'm wrong. wouldn't be the first time.

but my opinion is mangini's got nothing to offer to be excited about. the g.m. of his choice? i know nothing about him. wish i had reaon to offer y'all more than blind faith.

hang in there. hey, the cardinals have to give hope to all!!!

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the Browns went for another defensive-minded Belichick clone when it didn't work out for Romeo or even Bill when he was there.

If they were gonna hire anyone from the New England tree, it should've been McDaniels and/or Pioli.

Draft saved Draft deleted