1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland Browns lay off 15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 22, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I guess 10 years of sold-out football games doesn't buy a crappy team what it used to:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1232616806110551.xml&coll=2

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Bullshit...every team in the NFL makes money.
    Every. Single. One.
    And a healthy profit, too.
    Stop this PR, happy-feely bullshit that we are hurting as much as everyone because you're not. Period.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If you lay off your media director and hold a press conference about it, does anyone show?

4. lono

lono Active Member

I'm waiting for them to go to an eight-man defensive unit and tell the starters they have to tackle smarter, not harder.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Every team I've ever seen has too many clones taking up quality seating in the pressbox, not doing a damn thing.
    It's that way with the minor league team I worked with last summer, it's that way with most pro teams. The organizations don't request that these clean-cut jive turkeys do much of anything and they just sit there for a good portion of gameday watching the game, not being of help to any media that's working in the box.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is crap. No way the Browns need money. Sell some more eight dollar beers.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

WFW.

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Meanwhile, Crennel and Savage (among others on the staff) will be getting paid years to come because they all got extensions after going 10-6 one year against a shitty schedule.

That seems fair.

9. i'm not sure where to start with this one

you're ripping PR guys for being clean cut and watching the game?

and you're saying a PR guy refused to help you because he was watching the game

i've covered a few hundred nfl games and never had this issue, but i guess you've just had bad luck with pr guys. any specific teams? what exactly did you need help with that was refused?

what you might perceive as a guy sitting there just watching the game might be a guy who's assigned to do in-game notes or log player participation or who knows what

not sure what it has to do with the browns, either. they've had a very good media relations staff going back to the old franchise

10. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

If they really wanted to improve their status as a franchise, they should have laid off Braylon Edwards' hands.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

The Browns tried. Edwards dropped the pink slip.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Apparently his five hours were up.

Draft saved Draft deleted