1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland Browns hire Paul DePodesta

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Jesus, YF, try to keep up.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's a good point. There's a good chance he's involved a lot less in scouting and a lot more in capology and such.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Maybe he's just there to help Haslam with his fantasy team.

YankeeFan and bigpern23 like this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

I know they film a lot. I just didn't know they have that many cameras set up and isolated on individual players/positions.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The question is how do you determine who is Tier 1 versus Tier Two. You need some level of analytics to make that distinction. Or are you saying that the distribution of salaries among a position alone can reveal inefficiencies? I think that is possible. It seems to me that good and very good QBs get overpaid relative to the great QBs.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

They don't have that many cameras capturing every play/practice rep. The All-22 was supposed to be the Holy Grail of analysis. Team officials weren't keen on giving fans access to that footage.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's the Browns, so anything is possible.

"Analytics" is a catch word that people throw around recently, but actually it's just using mathematical formulas to look at things differently or to support or disprove what they already think. Where people get in trouble is not knowing when the data is valid and when it's not.

Jimmy Johnson's draft pick value board in the 1990s was a perfect example of analytics. Teams have been charting play calling tendencies of other teams for decades. Teams have been breaking down film and assigning value grades to individual players for individual games for years.

Now, could the Browns be bat-shit crazy enough to do shit like place hard cap values on positions like "we only play a starting left tackle 4% of our overall cap, and we let the player go if they are not willing to take that salary?" Or would they have this guy telling the coach from the press box to go for it or punt? Possibly. It's the Browns.

8. 93Devil

The easiest way for an NFL team to be successful is to recognize who will be a quality NFL player before the draft and then draft and properly develop them.

If you can't do that, I don't what you do with analytics, your team isn't going to be worth a shit.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They need to invent the NFL equivalent of your QuAlity Start stat. That was ground breaking.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

11. 93Devil

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted