1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland Browns hire Paul DePodesta

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sure. No guarantees this will work. I just think there are bigger pitfalls facing the Browns now that they've hired him to this supervisory role and have no coach or GM.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

amraeder had a good point on the other thread, that letting smart people have at it is typically a good business strategy anywhere. And that's certainly what Haslam is doing -- in the move before this, he slid his general counsel over to executive VP of football operations. This is a guy who is better known as owner of Bohemian Caverns.

But based on all prior signs from Haslam, he is a bumbling fool who got taken in by a Svengali. Not sure "Jimmy must know what he's doing" applies here.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm not sure any team in football is going to simply live by analytics. It's Cleveland so I'm skeptical but information from smart people should be a good thing.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This thread has #deviltakes written all over it.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yank, there is already a camera on every player, and people do analyze the away from the ball action.

The problem with using analytics in football the way it's been done in baseball is that virtually every action on every play is intertwined with the action of someone else -- usually, several someone elses. In baseball, as someone noted, hitting and pitching are isolated from other factors and can be broken down and evaluated much more easily.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who says it will be done the same as baseball?

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm just clarifying to YF why the problem is so difficult. The point is you can collect all the data you want, but the hard part is making something usable out of it because the events for which the data is recorded are so interdependent with other events.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not looking to argue with you, but how is this done.

Does the league coordinate it, or do the teams have to do it?

I'm assuming they don't use the networks cameras, because they're looking for different things.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Of course, is it possible that player analytics is not where DePo's focus will be? I'm wondering if he could focus more on market analytics than player analytics to gain an edge?

Maybe he decides teams are grossly overpaying for the elite left tackles, when a very good left tackle can be nearly as productive but a hell of a lot cheaper. He can then exploit that inefficiency and deploy his savings to other areas of need on the roster,

For instance, let's say the talent gap between a Tier 1 and Tier 2 left tackle is 10 percent, but the pay scale gap is 50 percent (in other words, you pay $15M to a Tier 1 tackle, who is 10 percent better than a $10M Tier 2 tackle). Meanwhile, the talent gap between Tier 1 and Tier 2 left guards is 50 percent, but the pay scale gap is 10 percent (you can pay $10M for a Tier 1 guy who is 50 percent better than a $9M Tier 2 guy). So DePo tells his talent evaluators, "I want to invest $10M in a Tier 2 tackle and $10M in a Tier 1 guard - find them for me." The Browns can apply that $5M savings elsewhere on the roster.

I may be way the hell out there on this, but as others have mentioned, the advanced metrics and analytics of baseball don't seem to apply as well to player evaluation in football, but the market analytics would transfer nicely, I would think.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The teams film EVERYTHING from every angle.

And not just in the games. They film every practice rep from every angle, too.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From both teams! /Belichick

Draft saved Draft deleted