1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland bank heist solved, 52 years later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Nov 13, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A local cold-case murder here was solved the same way, except in this case the murderer was a woman (she killed her husband at the time) and her new husband got scared after she confessed to him about 20 years later, and ratted her out.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

the stories I read years later in the Watertown newspaper made it sound like it was a mix of hubris and he missed the attention and he didn’t plan to get that involved.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I am fairly certain, should situation arise, I could go off the grid for a very long time.
    If you Google "average middle age white dude" my photo will be one of millions.
    I have the mental acuity and physical ability to fly under the radar and fend for myself.
    I could blend in and be a needle in a stack full of needles.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it isn't nearly as easy as it used to be. Forget getting on a plane, for a starter. You'd have to move to East Bumfuck, Idaho. There are so many facial recognition cameras everywhere, including small town America. I don't doubt that you, or I , could do it - but you'd have to go to the odd corners of some very rural states and live with a very low profile, I would think.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well it had peak Rene Russo so there's that.....

Chef2, garrow and playthrough like this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maybe you could go off the grid, but unless you quit driving, paying taxes, using any kind of credit card, using your phone, earning a living or even using a bank, you probably would not be hard to find if someone really wanted to find you.

7. Driftwood

I'm not talking about being a fugitive where people are actively using resources to find me. I'm talking about just walking way from it all, not even really trying to set up a new identity or anything. I can round up enough cash to get things started and smart enough to leave my phone behind. I could blend in well enough most anywhere.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

All you need is a two-day head start, friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan and the ability to speak a dozen languages.

9. Driftwood

Does anyone here speak English?
    I have never been lost in a museum. Well, I don't know. The National Gallery is kind of like a labyrinth.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Bruce Jenner in years.
    He must be living in disguise somewhere?

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Just start walking an IKEA and leave the main walkway. No one will ever find you again. Even if they’re on your scent, they’ ll see a Schwepwafflesorten for $4.99 and forget they were ever looking for you.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Or a Buc-ee's.

Hermes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted