1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The Indians won't be playing in October.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Best spots downtown are East 4th Street and the Warehouse District, which is West 6th/West 9th streets. East 4th is closer, just north of the Q. Actually E 4th dead-ends at The Q. This has a couple bars and some nice restaurants and a comedy club and a bowling alley. Iron Chef Michael Symon has an upscale restaurant called Lola on this street. Also the House of Blues concert club is there.

Warehouse District, which is closer to the Browns stadium, isn't too much of a walk, probably about 15 minutes. That has more of a club scene, though there are some nice restaurants (a couple of steakhouses included). While E4 usually shuts down around midnight, the Warehouse District is open til the state says the bars have to close, which is 2 a.m. Basically, the Flats moved up the hill from the river to this area. It is much less rowdy though.

The West Bank of the Flats still has a couple things open, including a popular gentleman's club. But you'd have to drive there unless you really want to walk.

There's also some good, solid bars right across the street south and east from Progressive Field. Most people don't venture too far from these areas downtown. There are other places to go, but these are where most people congregate downtown.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Too bad about the Flats. Last time I was there it was hopping and we had fun. A buddy has season tickets to the Browns games so I'm familiar with the downtown area. It's just been a while since I've been there and he usually drives in and out for games so I'm not sure how up to date he is. Thanks for the help.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

I was in Cleveland for a couple of games in June, stayed at the Wyndham, nice place, about $100 a night (plus $20 for parking).
    Ate dinner at the ballpark, did a side trip to Canton for the HOF.
    I have no gripes with Cleveland.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the area in about 15 years.
    I would definitely like to try Lola if I ever go back.

6. TwoGloves

We always have had fun in Cleveland, even the time we ended up in the ER and my buddy had to spend the night. I believe we ate at the Winking Lizard that night and wondered if that was the problem. (It wasn't.)

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Don't recall TwoGloves mentioning anything about a baseball game. Regardless, your non sequitur is little more than petty.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mmmmm Winking Lizard.

9. TwoGloves

1) I did not. (Just said I was staying across the street.) 2) I went to a game there years ago. 3) The Indians are in a shitty division so you never know. P.S. Anybody ever stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. Got it for $54 on HotWire and it's listed as three stars.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That hotel will be fine. You'll get more than your money's worth.

There's a newer restaurant just east of there on Carnegie called Carnegie Kitchen and Dining. It's like two or three lots down. Supposed to be pretty good. They are open for breakfast and lunch. You can get some very good ample entrees for $7-9. A friend enjoyed it. I am making myself hungry thinking about it. Here is a review from The PD:

http://www.cleveland.com/top-restaurants/index.ssf/2011/05/carnegie_kitchen_and_dining_serves_up_diner_and_deli_food_done_right.html

11. TwoGloves

Thanks! Sounds like a place we'll definitely try.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The funny thing about my non sequitur is that I am an Indians fan (always have been, always will).

Draft saved Draft deleted