1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Also, a warning: It's an absolute certainty that there will be 19,000 doucher Ohio State fans in town. So whatever you do, don't make fun of Tressel, bring up Urban Meyer, etc.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I will echo those mentioning Melt....went on a Sunday morning in January, before 11am, got a seat at the bar. By the time I left 40 minutes later, there was at least an hour wait. But I would have waited, it was that good.

GLBC is a definite, but Buckeye Brewing Co/Beer Engine in Lakewood is solid, as is The Brew Kettle in Strongsville. Haven't been to the Fatheads in Cleveland but the Pittsburgh location was quite good.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Back from Cleveland...finally.

Melt, as everyone noted, was damn good. Got there about 11 a.m. Sunday morning and found seats at the bar. As Fly said above, by the time we left, the line was out the door. Got the Monte Cristo and it was very good. Good prices, too. Well worth the 8-10 mile trip out of town.

Thursday night was weird. It was St. Patty's Day and we got into town about 9 or 9:30 p.m. maybe. Went out on 4th Street to get a few beers and....there was no one out. Damn near empty. Went into one bar and they closed at 10:30 p.m. Finally found an Irish Pub and it ended up being a decent time. Strange seeing hardly anyone out on St. Patty's Day. Especially since I heard they had like 400,000 people there during the day.

We spent Friday and Saturday on 6th St. West. At dinner both nights at the Barley House. Loved the place. Great burgers and pizza. Good music. Lots of TVs. And waitresses in short skirts. I'm guessing most of them were from out of town since they graded out at better than a 4. Oy. The women of Cleveland are, well, not what I expected. Although, my expectations must have been a little high it seems.

Watched the UFC fight at Paninis on 6th. Another decent place. Also spent time at the Blind Pig. Had an 80s cover band with a female singer. Very good band. Huge bank of TVs to watch the games. And a Plinko board.

That's really about it. Drank lots of beer. Watched lots of basketball. Ate some decent food. Saw some ugly chicks.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Saw some ugly chicks? Well I did hear there was a large contingent of George Mason fans in town ...

5. JackReacher

They brought the average up from 3.2 to about, oh...3.5 maybe.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It's true. We are an ugly people. Hard-working, upstanding, but ugly as mules. The good-looking people find their way out the state by the time they are 18, at the latest.

Lots of famous, beautiful people from Ohio. They just don't live here anymore.

7. JackReacher

Kinda what I was thinking. We nearly visited a local strip club down the street from our hotel out of curiosity. We decided against it, but a couple Mason students we drank with went. And their report was just as I had expected.

Anyway, I definitely recommend The Barley House. Had a burger one night and pizza the next. Both were outstanding.

8. TheSportsPredictor

You know what was ugly?

George Mason on the court Sunday.

9. JackReacher

You sure do seem to have your feelings all busted up because I said the girls in Cleveland weren't all that hot. Brian, on the other hand, has A) a sense of humor about it or B) is in legit agreement with me.

Either way, I'm sorry for hurting your feelings, TSP. Truly.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I've been to way too many games at the Horseshoe, leaving the stadium and seeing 105,000 jersey-wearing, jorts-sporting, Baconator-consuming, clear-my-left-ventricle-cause-there's-some-pork-cracklins-leftover-in-the-car Ohioans to ever even consider joking about something as serious as how (not) hot our women are and how grotesque us male Ohioans are.

Oxford (and they're not even from our state...they just find their sugar daddy at Miami), Athens...even the OSU campus, you find a precious few. But outside of that, head for another state.

And I speak on behalf of ugly people.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. TheSportsPredictor

You sound like the one without a sense of humor. I said the girls of George Mason were the ugly ones you saw, which is pretty much the exact same thing that you said about the girls of Cleveland. Get it? Ha ha.

Then I said George Mason was ugly on the court, which was true. Maybe that hurt your feelings. If so, I'm not sorry. Truly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I clicked on this thread. Truly.

Draft saved Draft deleted