1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleveland advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Going to Cleveland this weekend for the NCAA tournament. Haven't been in like 5 or 6 years. I know there are a lot of Cleveland donks on here, so I turn to you for advice on restaurants and all that good shit.

If I happen to be around until Sunday, I'll have Saturday free. How far is Canton?

Also, what's the best way to avoid getting stabbed? Other than not wearing any LeBron gear, I mean.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For a good time call Lebron's mom.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Canton is a little over an hour away by car. I assume you want to see the Pro Football Hall of Fame, otherwise there's nothing there.

If you're downtown for the games, you're not going to get stabbed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Go to Canton and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Try some of the food that Cleveland is famous for. Such as, er, well ...

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If you're staying downtown, there's a bar called Flannery's I've had a good time at. I seem to recall things starting close down early on weeknights.

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is kind of overrated. Basically a glorified Hard Rock Cafe without food or booze. But if you've never been, it's worth going once.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Also, if you're a Marriott whore like me, stay at the Renaissance Key Center and take the train in from the airport.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Is this the Cleveland Steamer I've heard so much about?

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Like mentioned above, Canton is an easy drive from Cleveland. About an hour.

Rock and Roll is good as well. You can get a combo ticket, saving five bucks, then if you had bought separately.

There's also the Christmas Story house (if you're a fan of the movie) in Cleveland. It's the house they used for the outside shots. They have the inside set up as a museum with a leg lamp in the window. Fairly cheap ($7) and it's mainly open just on the weekends.

I haven't really stayed in downtown Cleveland so not sure on places to eat.

Apparently Akron is home to a lot of fried chicken places. Couple of the restaurants were featured on Food Network's Food Feuds recently. Belgrade Gardens or Whitehouse. Forget who won.
    Akron is probably a half hour from Cleveland on your way to Canton.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Stay home. [/Cincinnatiguy]

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Get drunk and miss your bus stop.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Eat at Lola. You won't be disappointed. Michael Symon is a world-class chef and East 4th Street is one of the few places that won't make you depressed in the city.

Also, you can go to the site of old League Park and see a plaque where Babe Ruth hit his 500th home run. It's not in the best part of town, though. I'd recommend a Sunday morning for that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted