1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clerical Error Ends Mass. Team's Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CYowSMR, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

High school football bowl games? Does Massachusetts have a high school basketball NIT tournament for teams that don't make the six-class state tournament?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Distance? In Massachusetts?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I totally agree what is an AD doing if they can't follow the rules and submit their teams records. Fire them!

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's a little more complicated than that. While there is a limit to the number of contests a team can schedule (18 or 20 in most sports, 11 in football), teams are allowed additional games if they schedule teams from the Big Three, Catholic Conference or Cape and Islands, beause those schools typically have trouble finding opponents. Schools also have the option of not counting those games against their records for tournament qualification and seeding purposes.

5. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I understand that it isn't as simply as 1+1=2 here always but it is an A.D's job to know the rules and know what teams are considered "playable past 11 games". It would be like a doctor saying he didn't know that a hospital had certain rules or regulations against certain types of procedures. Know the rules and regulations and play by them. Don't cry foul when you are ignorant.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do vocational schools mean something different up there? In my experience, they are where high school grads and GED holders go to learn welding, electronics, plumbing, etc.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The voke schools do have adult learning programs, but they also are your typical high school with vocational programs.

I'm guessing Steve Bevins is no longer the AD at Minuteman? I covered his teams years ago.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There was one story I read recently where a girls soccer team (not from Mass.) ended up getting DQed from the playoffs because they played an extra game that was supposed to count as a scrimmage, only the paperwork wasn't filed in time and it counted as a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted