1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clemson student newspaper doesn't run Watkins arrest story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HecklingHarry, May 4, 2012.

1. HecklingHarry

HecklingHarry New Member

I was interested in your guys' opinion on this matter. Sammy Watkins, star player on Clemson's football team, got arrested this morning for possession of marijuana.

Not a huge murder type of story, but still a story. TheTigerNews.com, the website for the student newspaper, declined to run a story on the matter.

The sports' twitter handle only ran this:

The Tiger Sports ‏ @TheTigerSports
    BREAKING NEWS: A college student got caught with marijuana! It just so happened to be a really good football player, so now it's a big deal.

Is this appropriate journalism or a case of students becoming fans?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Appropriate journalism might - might - apply if this were a sourced story and the publication claimed not to run sourced/anonymous source stories. And even that's a major stretch.

But this one is as black and white as Clemson is orange and purple. It smells like Tiger crap ...

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It should definitely be a story. While it should go up online ASAP, I honestly have no idea how the paper manages its site. I have to imagine there will be a story in the next print edition, but yes, there should be a story online right away because, in addition to his arrest, I have to imagine there will be a suspension.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's how many student newspapers work. It's unprofessional, but they're student journalists. Clemson's journalism school isn't Missouri's, and its newspaper isn't UPenn's. This thread is a massive stretch. Thanks for registering just to post it, HecklingHarry.

5. Sam Mills 51

Um ... so if Jack Leggett hit a milestone win mark, they would bury it until it was more convenient at a later time?

Um, yeah ...

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

They're not student journalists. They're students.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No opinion on question but it was clear that Clemson had huge problems with their team at the end of last year.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My alma mater won a spring championship in a sport people care about two or three years ago. The title game was after finals. The story didn't go up on the website until two weeks after the game, the same time as the first of the weekly summer editions.

They're students. The student newspaper exists primarily to give students a chance to show their skills for prospective employers. That kind of news delay reflects poorly on the publication to those who notice. But most prospective employers don't, unless it's brought up in a random-ass thread created by someone with one post on this message board.

It's very interesting that HecklingHarry decided to delete his second post. It featured a quote from a response by the sports editor: The newspaper is on delay, but they'll have the story in their orientation issue in June.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The person updating the Twitter feed has a bright future.

10. Sam Mills 51

Maybe so. But it does seem awfully convenient.

It would hard to believe that if they had dumped Tommy Bowden at this time of year - especially considering that the vultures, er, fan base, had been wanting to get rid of him for a while - they wouldn't find a way to publish something, even on a stopgap basis?

And why do they have the technology and energy to give you an update on their inability to post, yet not have the means to produce something on their site?

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The technology and energy to post a tweet? You sound like a dinosaur.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The Tweeter, as a beat writer, has the right to opine if he thinks this isn't a big deal. He still has to report it. If there's no story in the next print edition then that's horrible news judgment on the part of the SE/ME of the student paper.

Was he arrested by campus PD? Would it therefore run the pol beat regardless? It's a layered issue I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted