1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clemson/Louisville examine sports journalism bias

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cyclingwriter, Sep 27, 2012.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Basically, they examine PSU sex scandal fall out. After reading what was said on this board at times, not very shocking, but figured this was worth discussing here.

From the story:
    “The behavior of the 151 sports journalists analyzed appear to have blurred personal and professional boundaries as they mocked fans and promoted their competitors,” said Marion E. Hambrick, assistant professor in the health and sport sciences department at Louisville.

This personal investment also appeared as sports journalists had highly charged interaction with fans. Given the sensitivity of the story, coupled with their personal investment, these interactions often were confrontational."

http://www.clemson.edu/media-relations/article.php?article_id=4474

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I see the quality and relevance of journalism "research" hasn't gotten any better since I was in college.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Promoting your competitors is standard and, arguably, important on social media. You promote them, they promote you, the circle jerk continues and you all get more hits. I wish SF_Express were here to explain in detail the logic behind it because he led and contributed to a lot of CBS' work in that department.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Think it's worthwhile for media scholars to verify what we Enlightened Consumers of Sports Media already (think we) know. It's also worth noting that their sample size here wasn't exactly tiny.

Based on the accepted norms of this site, I guess I should note that Jimmy and Marion are two gentlemen I consider friends. But regardless of that, they also do excellent work, especially in social media research.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Name dropper! How much expensive whiskey have you drank with them while talking about the Greatest Tweets of All Time? Do you cut open a vein and just let the deconstuction of academia just spill onto the page? Must be nice to be in your little treehouse.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

We're academics, dude. It's Samuel Adams seasonal brews.

The rest is pretty accurate, yes.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I see that the work is published (or going to be published) in the International Journal of Sport Communication. Forgive this biz school prof's snarkiness, but I gotta believe that journal's impact factor is on the low end of the spectrum.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The crux of the story involved Twitter and its impact on reporting of the Penn State scandal. (Sorry, I'd post more but I need to go check my Twitter feed.)

Draft saved Draft deleted