1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clemens Finally Sues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 7, 2008.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

After watching Clemens last night get all jittery, I have little doubt that he took roids.

Bottom line is somebody is in a WOS (World Of Shit) when they go in front of Congress.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The 5th? It's a civil action.

I hope Roger says the right things in front of of Waxman's committee.
    Because if he pisses off someone, a federal prosecutor armed with a subpoena will find a calendar, datebook, a SpongeBob coloring book with dates. Good luck, Roger. Then it won't be the hard to prove steroids charge. It will be a perjury charge.
    Sound familiar?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Clemens presser live on YES and he's starting to get pissed off...just walked away from the lectern

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

What got him all riled up?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wow ... listened to the presser and the tape of his conversation with McNamee. Fascinating stuff.

6. bigpern23

Roids?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I missed the exact queston, Ithink it had to do with taking a lie detector test, but -- after a long statement from his lawyer and a tape of a 17-minute Clemens-McNamee phone conversation and about 15 minutes of questions -- Roger started going off about "what am I supposed to do, spend millions and milions of dollars to try to prove a negative and all I'll get is we're sorry?"
    Then he went off, without provocation, on the Hall of Fame vote, concluding with:

"I don't give a rat's ass about the damn Hall of Fame. If you have a vote and this is an issue to you, keep your damn vote. I don't want it and I don't care.
    "And I've said enough. I'm out of here."

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I joined during the playing the of the tape of his phone call with McNamee, but he was fired up during the entire Q&A period. He didn't scream at any reporters, but he was annoyed. One of his biggest points was "How do I prove a negative?"

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Sadly, king......I don't think he'll ever see Congress.

He'd be as nervous as a whore in church.

10. bigpern23

He said repeatedly in the presser that he will be there next week. If he doesn't show, it's an admission of guilt.

Anyone hear who recorded that conversation with McNamee?

It's so weird how he even denies it to McNamee, but McNamee never says "Yes you did," or "You're a liar." You'd think he would say something one way or another unless they both decided to set up this phone call so Roger could be heard denying it to his accuser.

It's all very bizarre.

11. SigR

SigR Member

The phone call was bizarre. The whole time McNamee is saying "What do you want me to do?" Roger says multiple times that he didn't take steroids, and we never hear McNamee say "yes you did" or "I know you didn't".

What it sounds like to me is that Roger is looking for McNamee's loyalty. If you look at all the incentives in play, the conversation sounded like this: "I'm Roger Clemens and therefore I couldn't possibly have taken steroids" followed by "I'm Brian McNamee, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place" (between loyalty to Roger and the truth/jailtime)

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I was disappointed to see at the Roger Clemens press conference that no one asked what I think is the central question to all of this.

Clemens' attorney said that they aren't alleging any misconduct on the part of the government. But their whole argument, the whole premise of their defense, is that McNamee lied because he was trying to get out of going to jail.

How do they reconcile those two things?

If the government offered McNamee a deal to simply tell the truth, he'd have no reason to wrongly implicate Clemens. If the government told McNamee he had to implicate Clemens, then Clemens ought to be going after the government.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no in-between there.

Draft saved Draft deleted