1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clemens apologizes for being naughty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, May 5, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Right, right because every woman who goes to a man's hotel room is incapable of saying no and always has sex with him.......

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"Judge Wormer, the issue really isn't about whether I cheated on my wife or took a few liberties with a 15-year-old in my hotel room."
    (winks) "I did."

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Roger was helping her with algebra homework, duh.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear in the story he's talking about his affair and not PED use, which he again denied. What do you want, details? "I'm sorry we did it doggy-style, missionary position, crouching tiger and, then, oh man, I have to apologize for that time we used the love swing. Ohhh, man, that was good, though."

Does everyone need every single thing spelled out for them?

You people do realize he has legal issues he has to deal with and coming out detailing exactly what he's sorry for would probably not be in his best interests, right? Oh, that's right. He's a pro athlete, he owes it to "the fans" to make some lame apology that satisfies them, even if it negatively affects him from a legal standpoint.

We know Roger is a scumbag. The only people he has to apologize to are his family members (and quite possibly the family of a then-15-year-old who he may or may not have committed statutory with).

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Desiree Washington just kicked a cat and doesn't know why.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It's been said earlier in this thread: The reason this is out there and is "news" (other than the salaciousness) is the defamation of character lawsuit. Clemens says his character was sullied; someone out there is obviously trying to show there wasn't much character to sully.

Oh, and on the age limit thing, which I find a bit head-scratching how there is debate on this ... there needs to be some line of reference ... otherwise, when would be too young? Will you decide? "But your honor, she was turning 7 in two days ..."

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Her second cousin was the maid of honor at my wedding.
    From what I know of the situation (they weren't that close), mark her under "starstruck."

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Actually, both Clemens and McCready say nothing sexual happened until she was legal age and nobody has come up with any evidence to the contrary. But certainly don't let that stop all the fun.

9. Actually Clemens - through his lawyer mouthpiece originally said there was no sex in the relationship. That was later amended to "yes there was sex but it wasn't until she turned 18." And yet you are willing to buy that line? Fine for you but excuse me if I'm skeptical about taking Clemens' word for anything at this point.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dean Wormer but yeah!

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Is there ANYONE reporting that they did have sex when she was underage? Until then, you've got nothing.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, guys, did not immediately see the responses.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but didn't the story say that McCready was seen in the SkyDome hotel? When Clemens played in Toronto, she would have been at least 21. (Born November 1975, Clemens first a Blue Jay in 1997.)

When she was 15, Clemens was 28, which would be disgusting. But while I've seen McCready confirm the affair, she said it did not begin until she moved to Nashville, when she was 18. No that it's any better for a 31-year-old to be with an 18-year-old, but at least that's legal.

EDIT: Chris, having covered Clemens for a few years, I learned not to believe his self-serving diarrhea, but considering what McNamee and McCready have to gain with all of this, forgive me if I wait for something solid.

Draft saved Draft deleted