1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clemens apologizes for being naughty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, May 5, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm not saying that situations don't arise that are "not OK," as you might put it. However, I don't think that the person's age is the hard-and-fast measure for making that judgment, as in: the day before a person turns 16, it's a felony. The next day, nothing to see here. What's the difference, other than the legality?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And there are 15 year olds that are more "mentally ready" than many 19 year olds, which is why I don't think age is always necessary the smoking gun some people want it to be -- and correct me if I am wrong but -- where did it say they began having sexual intercourse when she was 15?

And further, his age and the fact that he is married is irrelevant -- 100 percent irrelevant. Athletes cheat on their wives and even when they have a few kids at home -- who gives a shit?

One other thing -- if infidelity is proof that a person is of bad character, then a whole helluva lot of "high character" people in this country are in big trouble, starting with guys like Martin Luther King.......

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Naw, I'm sure they played hearts and Chutes and Ladders until she turned 18.

Go back and read what I wrote, which I wrote slowly: The man was just on TV saying he was a high character guy, a family guy. All that shit. He ain't.

4. Moderator1

Also, you are certainly within your rights to be of the opinion that it is no big deal. I couldn't give two shits about the guy, I'm just explaining why it is news.

The good news for you - you can probably load up on your Clemens card collection since I suspect the value will fall. Or maybe not.

5. zagoshe

Ok -- I'll type slowly for you -- was Martin Luther King a "high character guy" a "family guy" in your book?

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As cranberry pointed out, there is nothing indicating Clemens actually had sex with a 15-year-old. It's important in this stampede to remember that.

7. Moderator1

Elliotte, the singer said she could refute nothing - granted, it didn't SAY they had anything going on then. You truly believe they didn't?

Zag, MLK died when I was 12. I have no clue. I should know more about the man than I do. Is it documented that he cheated? Rumored? What?

But this isn't about MLK.

8. Elliotte - I'm not saying that Clemens had sex with a 15-year old. I am saying she went to his hotel room at 15 and that Clemens originally said there was no sex involved in the relationship. Clemens had a young girl alone in his hotel room - a girl who was just 15. Asking us to take Clemens at his word that nothing happened is a bit much at this point.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You people are flying off the handle. Who among us hasn't had a platonic interaction in a hotel room with a 15-year-old girl we just met in a bar?

10. zagoshe

If you read books about the man's life he was known to be a womanizer and had several affairs -- and yet he is still viewed by most people in this country -- including me -- as being a man of high character (with an a few flaws, like us all), which tells me that people are hypocrital when discussing the character of other people.

And again, nowhere has anyone reported that Clemens and the singer had sex when she was 15....

11. Moderator1

I'll take your word on MLK. I have no opinion.

Do you honestly believe they did not?

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

So what was Clemens and a then-15 year old McCready doing in his hotel room?

Draft saved Draft deleted