1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clemens apologizes for being naughty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, May 5, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dude - she was 15. Do you really not understand?
    This isn't random infidelity.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Random Infidelity is a great name for a band.

3. Moderator1

I'm in. I'll play the bongos.

4. I think I saw Random Infidelities.

They opened for the Screaming Ovaries and Tacos de Jesus.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know I am going to get absolutely killed for this so I hesitate -- but have you seen or talked to the average 15 year old these days? And before you start the bullshit -- no, I don't shag or attempt young girls and no I am not trying to defend Roger Clemens.

But I'm sorry, I can't and don't blindly call them all "victims" because some, if not many, of them know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it and they like it and they are not powerless to stop it, nor do they want to. In fact, this "affair" went on for TEN years -- so the victimization thing is really out the window -- obviously the girl in question enjoyed it.

It is like Poindexter's favorite topic -- these 15 year old boys having sex with their 31 year old female teachers --- do you really think they are all innocent victims or do you think that some of them have shagged about 30 girls already and now they got the big score -- a teacher?

All I am saying is that at age 15 -- that's when it starts to get a little bit less clear about "victimization" when it comes to these sexual exploits. And there are many 16 year olds whose parents think nothing of them dating 21 or 22 year olds.

Unfortunately, our kids grow up far quicker than they should and far quicker than we do, so while you wonder what the hell Clemens was thinking (though wasn't he only like 22 or so at the time?) I'm not sure it requires seven days of wall to wall coverage and an apology.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Agreed. The age of consent laws are completely arbitrary and can make a major offense out of a willful act sanctioned by two consenting people. That they are called "children" by the law does not make them victims in a cosmic sense.

7. Moderator1

OK, I'll try to go slow here.

We've discussed physically ready and mentally ready on other threads. I don't care what they look like. They're 15. They're children. Laws are there to protect them from people who should know better.
    Also, Clemens was 28 at the time. AND MARRIED. WITH TWO KIDS.

To the other point: This isn't just a situation sitting out there all by itself. Roger goes on TV, before congress, and paints himself out as an honest guy, a family guy. These folks are trying to splatter me with mud.
    This situation shows he's a fucking liar, big time. It ties the stories together and makes it much, much bigger. He was just in the news trying to clear his good name - when he doesn't have one.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Do you remember the bit where Clemens filed a defamation of character lawsuit? All this goes to the character that allegedly was defamed.

Thank you for noticing.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Altered the above slightly, so it can be used to refer to the Catholic Church's sustained difficulties.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Is someone reporting that McCready was 15 when Clemens and she had sex? The NYDN insinuated that when it first reported the affair but it seemed like they backed way off the next day.

Unless I'm mistaken, we just have the NYDN and NYPost reporting Clemens' extra-marital affairs at the behest of the sleazy defendant in a defamation suit. The suit, of course, gives the tabs journalistic cover to publish gossip.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No problemo.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Zag and First,

Just because a 15-year-old is hot and willing, doesn't make it OK.

If a guy with a flat screen TV in the back of his car seems really eager to get you to buy it for $200, does that make it OK, even it it turns out to be stolen?

I mean, the guy had the TV, you had the $200, everyone was willing.

Draft saved Draft deleted