1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clearwater/St. Pete advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spadjo martin, Jun 19, 2017.

1. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

Going to hang out for a few days in Madeira Beach. Need some help on best bars and restaurants, and the best golf course value for the one day I will get to play down there. I know you guys will come through in the clutch.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Do go to Frenchy's (believe there are three locations) and get the grouper sandwich.

I played an executive course, par 62, The Largo last year.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Become a scientologist while there

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I heard they closed Norm's Hideaway on St. Pete Beach, smoke was so thick you could take a year off your life just walking through the door to get your afternoon drink on. Always liked Crabby Bill's as a casual place to eat. Harry's Beach Bar was my place to hang out when we stayed at the Sirata.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Second Frenchy's and Crabby Bill's.

Since you're playing in the middle of the summer, all the golf courses are reasonable. Mangrove Bay in St. Pete is a respectable muni (speaking from 15 years ago when I lived down there), Belleview Biltmore is a restored Donald Ross original and Bardmoor is a very good semi-private that you should be able to get on at this time of year.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

If you hit Crabby Bill's, make it the original one. The one in Indian Rocks Beach.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Always ask if this is where they started Hooters at.
    They always love that.

8. playthrough

Much better wings at Ferg's next to Tropicana Field.

9. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

I'll probably go with Bardmoor. Looks like the Belleview Biltmore is closed for a year and will be completely redone, which sucks because I am always looking to play a Ross course. There's another Ross course down there but it's private from what I can see.
    Thanks for info, y'all

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

There are four Frenchy's: the original (not on the beach), then one very close to the original but on the beach, and one south of there (South Cafe I think they call it). And up north, Dunedin I think, is Frenchy's Outpost, on the road to Honeymoon Island. By all means, yes, Super Grouper Cajun Style. And if you sit at the bar at a few of these, there are webcams. I've had fun texting friends at the bars watching them drink.

Highly recommend visiting Caldesia Island, and the sponge docks for Greek food up in Tarpon Springs.

11. playthrough

Are you talking about Dunedin GC? That's another Ross that is (or at least was) semi-private, in the summer they'd probably be happy to have you.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

1. Mons Venus
    2. 2001.
    3. Ybor City Strip
    Just in case.

Draft saved Draft deleted