1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clearly, Isiah has photos of Little Jimmy Dolan committing unspeakable acts.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 29, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And here I thought we were doing a nice job turning this civil. Did I not compare the place of the Lakers and Celtics in the NBA to the Yankees in baseball? My point in mentioning them, which you just ignored, was that the NBA went through an extremely successful era without a marquee team in New York.

I get the importance of the New York television market. But these are national sports and they need more than just the New York market. Outside of New York, I just don't think average NBA fan cares whether the Knicks are good or not.

Edit: Bob, the NBA has done just fine through times in the past when the Knicks were not good enough to be a marquee franchise, no matter how much you want to insult people who think that the universe does not revolve around all things New York.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Lighten up, Francis. I didn't say the world revolved around New York. But the NBA counts on the so-called casual fan much more than other leagues (look at how much attendance has dropped in cities with bad teams that have been particularly hit hard by this economy), so having New York ga-ga behind the Knicks means much more in sheer numbers and exposure. If the current Spurs roster won titles as the Knicks, you couldn't get away from ads featuring Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, no matter how bland Duncan might seem. You don't TV ratings would be a lot higher for an excellent Knicks team than an excellent Spurs team? Do the math -- New York metro area, 18 million; San Antonio, 2 million.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's what you are missing, oop.

David Stern was born and raised within 10 miles of Madison Square Garden. David Stern is a Columbia Law School alum. David Stern was a NY-based attorney hired as outside counsel to the NBA before he became a fulltime NBA employee.
    He is a lifelong New York guy who understands far better than you that a strong franchise in the biggest media market in the world is a very good thing for any league. That does not mean the NBA won't survive without the Knicks being a marquee franchise, it means it is stronger when the Knicks are a marquee franchise.

Walsh implied yesterday that the restrictive media policies instituted by Dolan will be lifted.
    If you or anybody else thinks for one minute that Stern isn't behind that because he's sick of seeing the NY media rip not only the pathetic team but the paranoid atmosphere surrounding the Knicks, you are clueless.

Fact: David Stern wants to see two strong and media-friendly franchises in the NY market -- if the Nets ever make it to Brooklyn -- because it makes the NBA stronger.

And your anti-NY bias is moronic.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

David Stern has a hand in what most franchises are doing. When Vancouver got an expansion team it was Stern who "suggested" that they hire Stu Jackson. Boy that worked out well.
    Look what is going on in Seattle. Stern is a control freak.
    Every eague with the exception of football would prefer to have their big markets succesful. It's simple economics.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Stern criticized the Knicks following the Browne-Saunders trial, saying that the organization was a model of mismanagement. And he's right. I dare you to find anyone, anywhere, that thought the Knicks were following a sound business plan.

When the Knicks, Celtics, Lakers and Bulls are good, those teams sell tickets. They draw television ratings. That equals revenue for the league. That equals local, domestic and international relevancy.

Let's be honest. No one cares about the Memphis Grizzlies. For as dominant as the San Antonio been, how many Spurs fans do you know? Do the Golden State Warriors draw interest from the casual fan?

6. outofplace

First of all, you are far more biased toward New York than I am against it, but I'll leave the insults to you.

I am not arguing that Stern wasn't involved in what is happening with the Knicks. So please, at least try to understand what I'm posting before you dismiss it as moronic. I simply don't know enough about the NBA to make that type of statement.

I asked if he should be involved. I asked if NBA fans outside of New York see the Knicks as a marquee franchise.

And what you and others here seem to conveniently forget is that the NBA has thrived without the Knicks being a marquee franchise. Sure, it's better for the league if the New York team is good. But it's not as important as you think it is. You just can't see past your own bias, so you turn to insulting anybody who dares suggest the sports world outside of New York matters.

7. outofplace

Bob, I'm not the one who needs to lighten up. You guys are the ones hurling insults.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're the fucking idiot who has repeatedly made the statement that the world doesn't revolve around New York; that people outside New York don't care about New York; that nobody cares what happens in New York or to New York teams.

I said specifially that a strong team in NY is not necessary for the NBA to thrive but it does make the league stronger. But then again, we know you have reading comprehension problems as well.

And since you claim to know more about the NFL than the NBA, is there not a history of a NFL commissioner steppping in and dictating something to a certain struggling New York based franchise?

9. outofplace

More insults, which shows me where the real bias is. You can't even handle a discussion of this topic without losing your temper.

No, you didn't say the world revolves around New York. You just act like it. And I never said that nobody outside of New York cared about New York teams (who has the reading comprehension problem here?). I said that outside of the Yankees, I don't think the New York pro sports franchises hold any special significance to the rest of the country and I asked if others outside of New York thought that was accurate or not.

What I got in response was insults and chest-thumping from the NYSportsJournalists.com. No surprise at all, there.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The NBA has thrived? Have you checked out the ratings the last 6 or 7 years. The knicks in the 90's were always a threat to go to the final. They made the final twice and lost in the Eastern conference finals I believe on 2 other occasions. Nobody is saying the Knicks need to be champions but it sure as hell hurts the league if they aren't at least competent

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

No chest-thumping at all. Simply stating the fact that strong franchises in New York make a league -- any league -- stronger than great franchises in Memphis or San Antonio do.

Again, what about a NFL commissioner meddling with a New York football franchise?

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Any league is financially stronger if it has a good New York franchise. Like it or not, New York teams draw television ratings and money.

Draft saved Draft deleted