1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ClearChannel with MASSIVE national cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Jan 20, 2009.

1. There could also have been the situation that occurred this morning in Washington, where a traffic patrol report from Inauguration Day was repeated rhis morning -- complete with streets to avoid, jam-ups and pedestrians everywhere.

It was a Radio One station, by the by.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You can't make it up.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

A guy I follow on Twitter (yeah, freakin' Twitter), who's in the business, tipped everyone off over the weekend about CC's mass whackings during the Inauguration. An hour after the swearing-in, a programmer for a local CC station twittered and said she got whacked. Our CC-Des Moines stations have been silent or is trying to determine who goes and who stays in respects to the local shows. It would be a surprise to many local listeners if any of the locals get blown out. All three daily shows have done well as far as advertisers plugging their shows. Then again, I could be wrong as hell.

I was unaware that CC gutted FSR like a fish until tonight, when an acquaintance emailed me and told me that Siciliano, Shemon, Maller, and most of the notable names got their walking papers. I was at a funeral in northern Iowa and was listening to Dan Patrick and was not tuned into FSR all day today.

Two weeks ago, a local radio group, the Des Moines Radio Group, fired 4 of their employees, including 2(?) DJs, one of them was a local morning legend on the old-time music station.

I said that if CC proceeded to fire everyone in their paths during the Inauguration, they would go on my shit list as scum, along with Gannett. The sumbitches confirmed for me.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like listening to Sicilano... not surprised the CC f-tards did any of this.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if you really want to piss CC off... challenge the local content portion of the licenses next time they come up.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Clear Channel . . . commercial radio, Mitt Romney style.

As always, to hell with what people say . . . watch what people do.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow. I listen to Czaban every morning, the last minute of his show is always with Shemon and Washington, previewing their show. This morning there was nothing, Czaban just signed off. And now I know why Dan Patrick took over that time slot in this market two weeks ago.

Siciliano is sharp and should land somewhere, but he's had a lousy year already -- he's also an Arena football pbp guy.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The trouble with landing somewhere is you're not going to land at a CC station -- so that eliminates a lot of potential workplaces -- and there are a hell of a lot of people competing for a smaller number of jobs.

9. John Drama

John Drama New Member

Do you have any sympathy for someone who works for both of the places on your list?

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

John, I have sympathy for those who work for CC and Gannett. I have no sympathy for the fucking tools at the top. Case in point: The Register's 2nd in command, Laura Hollingsworth, pens a column late last week, informing readers that several sections of the paper was going to be merged. To add insult to injury, someone with ties to the Register uncovers that the Gannett heads were in California golfing over the weekend at a Bob Hope charity deal. Hollingsworth was the second person mentioned, behind their CEO.

I have no sympathy for Gannett. Ask everyone else on this board how they feel. You'll get the same reaction.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember when the Des Moines Register was a great newspaper.

Then Gannett bought it. First thing they did was kill the "Big Peach".

Hell, I'm old enough to remember the Des Moines Tribune.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FSR was indeed gutted. Most everyone's gone, and now Petros and Money, two great talents who are as LA-centric as a Pink's Hot Dog, have been put on nationally; another LA-centric dude, Steve Hartmann has also been hooked up with Chris Meyers. To hear the two of them go on at length about the KC Chiefs while I'm driving on the 405 makes me thrilled I reupped Sirius/XM

Draft saved Draft deleted