1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clear Channel whacks a bunch of popular Cleveland radio personalities

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Require local programming.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How? What difference does it make if the person playing the Beyonce track is in town or 3,000 miles away?

3. ctr

ctr New Member

yeah, just two. somehow the dumbass keeps getting on horses

honestly, i was pretty happy with my tweet to announce the whole thing. was in the first story on cincinnati.com talking about the firings

actually, a decent severance package, though

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

600 (actually 590) let go across the country. Clear Channel is the JRC of radio.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wow, not even the famous are safe:

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Whacked one of the Monsters of the Morning in Orlando, too.

And not the one that I hate.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Paul Daugherty in Cincy talked about his axing in his Enquirer blog. Worth a read. Part of it:

"Times are horrible in the media industry, exacerbated by the barons who run the shows. They make the GM twits seem like Andrew Carnegie. I was told my whacking was a corporate decision, made by Clear Channel bean counters, using some "formula.'' I don't know if I believe that. I never knew if I believed anything anyone told me at WLW, not from the very first day. Radio is not a pretty business, at least from my very limited perspective. Not that it matters.

At 10 AM Tuesday, I was handed a severance package and shown the door. Literally overnight, I went from being "the future of the radio station'' (Parks) to the parking lot. The whole transaction took 5 minutes. Since I'd never been "severed'' before, I don't know if that's the norm. And obviously, there is no "right'' way to do that sort of thing. Regardless, it was entirely classless and, from what I've heard from others within ClearChannel Cincinnati, not atypical."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=c77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3Post%3ae9ef3e6c-9b54-4892-9bb5-13b5d46b90a2&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com/

Read the Local News and Premium Choice entry.

::)

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As much as government regulation would be criticized for 'Choosing what people may listen to on the radio', I wouldn't mind a law passed that only allows an artist/band to be played on a radio station, say, three times a day, with one song being allowed to play twice.

It would open up the airwaves for more artists, and we wouldn't hear the same 20 songs on the radio played over and over again.

But like I said, it would then turn into 'The government is telling you what music to listen to' (not that hasn't happened before with censorship.

Oh, and CC sucks, just because in 1997, they played Bob Carlisle's 'Butterfly Kisses' endlessly on my local station [crossthread].

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

TV and radio are hurrying toward the same vile destination as the newspaper industry, it's just that TV and radio are getting there first.

It won't be long -- if this isn't true already -- that in larger metro areas, you will have ZERO local news reporters for radio and ZERO coverage of prep and maybe even college sports on the air.

The only places with local news and sports on the radio will be the small towns who manage to hang on to their community radio stations. Very sad.

11. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I don't think most Americans realize that TV and radio are encountering many of the same problems as newspapers -- perhaps because newspapers are so much more willing to eulogize themselves. We will see a lot less local radio and a lot less local TV newscasts in the near future.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It makes a LOT of difference. In the glory days of top-40 and early days of AOR radio, there were dramatic differences in regional music tastes -- and it's how different regional styles developed.

Plus, if the refinery a quarter mile down the street catches on fire, the local jock playing Beyonce can tell you about it sooner than the 48 hours it takes Zombie Sydnijock in LA to see it on CNN.

Draft saved Draft deleted