1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clear Channel whacks a bunch of popular Cleveland radio personalities

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 28, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's very disappointing news outta Cinci. I refuse to call 700 WLW "The Big One" anymore.

2. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I believe cuts were made at stations around the country.

People should know that while some of this may be driven by the economy, Clear Channel has a habit of whacking people regardless of economic times. It's just a company that fires people.

When I thought I would be in radio my entire career, I told myself I would NEVER work or Clear Channel and would go back to the career associated with my degree if it meant never working for Clear Channel. I've stuck to that.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Best thing that ever happened in our local radio market was the day Clear Channel sold its shit and left.

The general consensus was "Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya."

Assholes.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, it's everywhere. Here's the ongoing body count from Radio & Records:

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRWebsite20/members/ShowHeadline.aspx?FormatId=0&ContentID=49014

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

How come it's the assholes who have gotten to own and run everything lately?

Whatever happened to the notion of good guys -- like me! -- winning?

Even if you found someone worthy of working for, they aren't hiring.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Time for an AT&T-type forced breakup of the corporate media behemoths.

It serves local audiences nothing to have local stations all handed over to syndicated zombie programming.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just two, here. Cincy Post and the radio station. Still, it sucks.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Your avatar rules, Killick.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wow, they're rivaling Gannett.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I don't think it will make that much of a difference. There are locally-owned stations that take all their programming outside of morning and afternoon drive off the satellite. Technology makes it too easy to cut corners.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wasn't he doing some stuff for MLB.com at one point or do I need to cut down on the mushrooms?

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Boo, Clear Channel.

From CTR's blog: "I heard I was getting laid and thought it was a good thing. I just missed the 'off' part. Oh well."
    http://ctrentrosecrans.com/2009/04/28/unemployed-and-ok/

Draft saved Draft deleted