1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clear Channel whacks a bunch of popular Cleveland radio personalities

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 28, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://www.cleveland.com/tv/index.ssf/2009/04/brian_and_joe_trivisonno_sidek.html

Assholes pulled the Trivisonno sidekicks aside during the show yesterday and threw them out the door.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The axe fell here in Cincinnati, too.

SJ board member C. Trent Rosecrans, along with Enquirer columnist Paul Daugherty and coach-chaser Alan Cutler were among the victims.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, when Clear Channel owned a couple of stations here, one of the station managers was called by a CC representative and was told that he was to ax four full-time on-air people.

"But," he said, "we only have four full-time on-air people."

He said there was silence on the other end of the phone for a minute, then the woman said, "Hmmmm. Let me get back to you." She never called back.

It's a truly evil company. One of the guys who worked for the local affiliate said it would take him up to two months to be reimbursed for any expenses he would have when he went on the road with the juco basketball team he did play-by-play for.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry to hear about the first two; will give Cutler more time to chase coaches.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It really is an evil company, JB. The JRC-meets-Singleton of the radio world.

During my 10 months of unemployment, a good buddy of mine who was the program director for the all-sports station in our area -- part of a CC cluster -- got me a part-time gig (for minimum wage) board-opping the Dodgers, NFL and Kings games.

Having made several appearances on that station before they were owned by CC, I pestered him for an on-air gig. He told me he'd love to, but his hands were tied on programming: it was all syndicated or all games, i.e. no local on-air talent other than him doing the local juco games on tape-delay.

Four months after I started, they fired him. Just because. He later caught on at another CC station in the Inland Empire... and despite never missing a day of work, got fired there as well.

Why? Just because.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Damn, that sucks. Well, except for the Cutler part.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ugh. Good luck to everybody affected.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Race to the bottom. They whacked the whole local sports staff at Detroit's WDFN four months ago.

Why in the hell anyone would listen to these nationally-canned syndicated shows, I can't fathom. Some yahoo in Orlando, Florida, yammering about the Yankees.

Click.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I have a friend who can echo every word of Birdscribe's point of view on Clear Channel. Not the type of people worthy of much either professionally or personally.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I've mentioned before that I have a friend who works for CC and has remarkably survived all these cuts. But he's ready and has obtained a real estate license and opened a small business with his wife in the last couple of years. He sent me this from the Radio & Records website, which says it all about CC:

<i>"Night jock Jennifer Wilde has left classic rock WBGG (Big 105.9)/Miami; she was also voicetracking middays at classic rock WRKH (96.1 the Rocket)/Mobile; nights at classic rock WEKL (Eagle 105.7)/Augusta, Ga.; afternoons at classic rock WFXF (95.1 the Fox)/Rochester, N.Y.; and nights at classic rocker KNFX (99.5 the Fox)/Bryan-College Station, Texas."</i>

So she was doing five shifts in five different markets...and they still canned her. Nobody who works for that company in any capacity is safe.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How many horses has C. Trent had shot out from under him? Heard him on the Reds broadcast the other night and got thinking that it was at least the third different outlet he's repped for a second inning chat with Marty.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And Clear Channel's political orientation foreshadows many of their corporate actions.

Mitt Romney . . . Bain Capital . . . Clear Channel . . . a round-robin of ASSHOLES.

Now, back to your regular sports programming.

Draft saved Draft deleted