1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleaning up the Quote: Wash Post Ombudsman faults ex-Reporter Howard Bryant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Oops, I wasn't clear ... she wanted me to change the quote in the online version on the same day in ran in the paper ...

I'm not a gotcha guy. I let people talk their thoughts out and correct themselves if it's still their own word ... but I only use the best quotes for my stories ...

2. Presidential politics is obviously different from preps football or whatever it is we do here, and this example isn't directly analagous to anything we've talked about in this thread, but I thought I'd post it nonetheless.
    --
    AP: Sir, with regard to terrorism in Afghanistan and Pakistan ...

OBAMA: Yeah.

AP: Is there any circumstances where you'd be prepared or willing to use nuclear weapons to defeat terrorism and Osama bin Laden?

OBAMA: No, I'm not, uh, there has been no discussion of using nuclear weapons and that's not a hypothetical that I'm going to discuss.

AP: Not even tactical?

OBAMA: No. I think it would be a profound mistake for us to use nuclear weapons in any circumstance. Uh, if involving you know, civilians... Let me scratch all that. There's been no discussion of nuclear weapons. That's not on the table so...

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Word for word.

And as for "changing" quotes . . . some things sound just fine in conversation, but don't look so good when in print. I've been asked by coaches to make tweaks here and there to fix the "gonnas" and "ums" when they speak with me. Minor things like that are appropriate.

But if a quote needs as much tweaking as what Portis said in this instance, Lugnuts' idea for how to convey the message is exactly what I would have had in mind as well.

Also: I think you could have sold tickets to the spectacle of a reporter saying "They're your words. I'm not doing anything to make you look stupid...you are." to the great Jerome Brown.

4. If I didn't "clean up" quotes, the head coach I cover would not have been quoted directly in several years.

Honestly, this thread has been eye-opening. I always considered quote clean-up an Poynter-style, ivory-tower debate that had little relevance to reporters who actually work a beat full-time. But to find there are reporters who actually advocate 100 percent verbatim quotes...well, that's just stunning.

Let me ask this: What about deadline writing when you are relying on hastily scrawled notes? Are you quoting exactly as the person spoke? I sure hope so. If not, be sure to take your tape recorder and transcribe each interview exactly as it happened.
    Coach or player not speaking in complete sentence? Throw it out. It can't be used.

Spanish-language native doing his best to speak English? Quote every painful error. It will help him learn.

Hope you can do all this in 15 minutes to rewrite your 20-inch story for the final edition.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Isn't a pompano some kind of fish?

6. Yes, although I could also be referring to the beach city in Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted