1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CLE vs LA @ MKE

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I agree ... I think the reasoning of not having the Angels fly back across the country is weak as well. If they can make cross-country overnight trips in the playoffs for a game the next day, why can't they do it in April?

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Mike from Milwaukee asks: "Are they bringing the guy that bangs the big drum out in right field?"

That's a helluva question.

3. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Do you think Anaheim would agree to that, though? Taking on three home games on short notice in exchange for giving up three games in the summer? That's not a real good deal for them.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I talked to that guy about 10 years ago during a game at the Jake (he's in left field, IIRC). He said he has to buy two season tickets, one for himself and one for the drum. I hope the team has wised up since then and cut him a deal.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Maybe, maybe not. The stadium is currently not in use. There is no reason that the games cannot be played at this time. The walk-up crowd may be about the same as it would in August. The two teams would also keep the same amount of home and away games against each other.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He hit it too high...

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Regular-season rules dictate a day off for teams flying West to East and the union probably said the Angels wouldn't do it, so this is the best solution.

This is the Angels' only trip to Cleveland, though a switch could have been done.

The Indians are scheduled to be in Anaheim May 8-10 (midweek). That's the middle of the trip, but they start with four in Baltimore then go to Oakland. So play the four in Baltimore, come home for three with the Angels, then go to Oakland for three. That series is at the end of a homestand for the Angels, so have them start a (long) trip then (three in Cleveland, four in Texas, three in Seattle).

I'm guessing the hang-up was the lack of a day off before the Angels start Friday in Boston. I'd say have a day-night doubleheader in Anaheim on Wednesday, but the Angels probably weren't going for that. Plus, it would take a lot for the Angels to get personnel in place to staff the games on such short notice.

It's a mess no matter what.

8. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

I'll bet this guy is getting excited for it:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=333812

9. chester

chester Member

I heard somewhere that the reason why it wasn't going to be shifted to Anaheim is because the Angels have already had advance ticket sales exceeding 40,000 for several of those games on Cleveland's two visits. Meanwhile, about half of that has probably been sold for any of the three games in Cleveland. Not that doesn't stink for those who have tickets, just the reason I heard why the Angels weren't going to switch.

10. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

He will, in fact, be flown to the games by the Indians.

Also, for what it's worth...Tuesday was to be "Major League" night at the ballpark, with fans receiving Rick Vaughn sunglasses. I'm totally serious.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

In old Municipal Stadium, he was in right field tho.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that the Wednesday night game is going to be "Brook Jacoby Appreciation Night", honoring the journey-man thirdbaseman recently dumped by one of our favorite posters.

Draft saved Draft deleted