1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clayton Kershaw: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Look again.

You're a line off.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What?

He was pitching in a different league and era. And he was the hands-down best pitcher in baseball for five years. I don't think Kershaw can say that. Felix Hernandez is better than Kershaw.

3. Dick Whitman

No, Felix Hernadez is not.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Santana's career ERA was 3.20. LTL misread his Baseball Reference page.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dick Whitman, do you believe the leagues are relatively equal in talent?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ah, that I did. Mistake for me.

OK, 3.20.

Maybe he gets in, as Dick said.

But he is not a Kershaw comparable.

Really, Koufax is a comp, as hard as that is to believe. Or Maddux's four-year run is (Maddux was better, true). Or Randy Johnson's four-year run or Pedro's.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you want to make a Koufax 1962-66 comp, Pedro's 1999-2003 is a good place to start ... or end.

8. Dick Whitman

Kershaw has a 2.47 ERA lifetime against A.L. teams.

Felix has a 2.59 ERA lifetime against N.L. teams.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Over Santana's first seven seasons as a full-time major leaguer, his ERA was 2.86. That was during an era of substantially higher run totals. They had the same strikeout ratio, and Santana had a better walk ratio. The only real gap was an easily attributable home run ratio difference (1.0 per nine innings for Santana, 0.5 for Kershaw).

10. LongTimeListener

I can see you're committed to your fantasy.

Worth noting also that Santana won two Cy Young Awards, not three, and not in consecutive years. He was one of the best pitchers of his era. He might make the Hall, I guess. But he just didn't do what Kershaw is doing.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Santana struggled at the end of his career, and whether you like it or not, that hurts his legacy. Had Santana been injured and never pitched again or retired on the heels of the years you mentioned, you could talk HOF. The original post alluded to such a scenario. If Kershaw suddenly becomes mortal and hangs around for a number of years, then this debate is moot.

12. LongTimeListener

The third Cy will change that, though.

The third Cy will make him automatic. Takes him out of Lincecum/Saberhagen territory and into this full list: Clemens, Johnson, Carlton, Maddux, Koufax, Martinez, Palmer, Seaver.

Draft saved Draft deleted