1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clay Travis on why every writer/journalist needs to be active on Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is going to take this thread in a new direction, but I use "heard" or "hearing" a lot. It's because I don't like to use terms like "sources say" or the criminally overused "BREAKING." Also, don't like using "I" if it can avoid it. (Although, for some reason, I seem to use it a lot on this board).

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just use "This reporter" instead...much more '40s newsy' sounding.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We are not amused.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And taking this in a different direction....@nytimessports just tweeted that Jim Huber has died. Which is accurate, although he died on Monday and today is Thursday.

Does it seem something is wrong here?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's an auto-feed. They probably set it to stagger stories arbitrarily based on level of prominence on the sports site.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Stupid.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Obviously. New York Times,

[​IMG]

But so many others are, too.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Could have also been simply human error, somebody tweeting out something while not recognizing it was old.

We used to do autofeeds, don't anymore, and I wouldn't be surprised (but don't know) if the NYT doesn't. They're not considered a good experience (user or the source) anymore.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

https://twitter.com/nytimessports

Look at the feed yourself. If that's not an auto-feed, then it's the world's worst tweeter. Also, they never were a good idea. It was lazy and based on the idea that Twitter was a fad (which it may be) so there was no reason to invest any time or effort on it (which there is plenty of reason to do).

Draft saved Draft deleted