1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clay Travis, Boobs and CNN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm just very confused about when someone's resume is owed deference and when it is not.

Gosh, if I didn't know better, I might think it had something to do with their expressed political leanings.

Joe Williams likes this.
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's always bugged me he didn't realize out kicking your coverage is a bad thing.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I still don't get it.
    Him saying boobs isn't funny. It's not interesting. It's not clever. It's stupid.
    By him saying "booze", which like I said, is funnier......it probably gets the host to roll her eyes, or chuckle.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good Heavens man.
    Take a breath.

5. Dick Whitman

He must be really talented.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

7. Dick Whitman

Just funnin'.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

1 in 5 women in college campuses are not sexually assaulted (according to a survey) because of Donald Trump.

The "evolution" is mostly imaginary, I think, in the minds of men. Has there ever been a time in our history when American women were less happy and satisfied with men than right now? The Emmy Award winner for best drama is a dystopian drama about a theocracy that keeps sex/surrogate slaves. Writerly web sites are filled to the brim with essay after essay about horrible, immature, no account men.

None of this absolves Travis' comment, which was dumb. But, I think, 3 things:

1. Travis is saying what some men are thinking but don't think they can say because they'll get in trouble.

2. The other guy on the show wrote more offensive things on Twitter.

3. Whether or not you or I think men have made progress in the treatment of women, the amount of feedback I see online suggests that's false, and that women, for myriad reasons generally feel worse about men than they ever have.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A few things:

1) Whatever number of women are being assaulted on campuses is likely far, far fewer than in previous generations. We just track things better now and have a higher level of awareness in great part because of the Internet.

2) The dystopian Emmy Award winning show is basically a response to the scary things that women are hearing from political conservatives who want to turn back the clock on women's rights. Do you think it's a coincidence?

3) The "evolution" isn't imaginary, despite the fact that we've taken a big step backward with the election of this president. Idiots now feel emboldened to say degrading things because, well, the president says them, too.

4) The Internet is not a particularly good barometer of the state of men's attitudes toward women because it's only been around for a little while.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yes, the "Handmaid's Tale" is so relevant! Sad!

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess it's kind of interesting that the Handmaid's Tale was written during the Reagan administration and basically satirizes the rise of religious fundamentalism that was occurring during that time.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not as interesting as a Scientologist giving an impassioned speech about the dangers of authoritarianism.

Draft saved Draft deleted