1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clay Travis, Boobs and CNN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Sep 15, 2017.

1. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Correct, but I will say that, in my experience covering this, it's as much about class/economic status as it is about race. It's just that Black people have obviously been disproportionately screwed over and stuffed into shitty socio-economic conditions for as long as this country has existed.

But class and economic uprising is past due. The wealth disparity in this country is bullshit. Basically, we've become everything we hated about Great Britain when we left to form this country in the first place. Plus severe racism.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Cultural Marxism isn't much like Marxism. Cultural Marxism relies on the richest Americans, in fact, to oligarch over the cause. It is not a movement of working people. It’s a movement of academia.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Let's bring this back around to journalism.

On which of these groups does the mainstream press spend the most time?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ffs, etc.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Joe Rogan, Clay Travis...I really don't get Trump playing to the base - those two hosts aren't exactly known for their female listenership. Is he just trying to avoid a blowout? Will be interesting to see if the polling in the Big10 country changes much (Wisc., PA, Mich.) most polls show they are all close to out of reach for Trump.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

First, stix just spent a week covering these rallies as a journalist, so he was talking about journalism.

Second, Fox - which I consider “mainstream” seems to spend most of its time on 3 and 4, from what I can tell. Other mainstream outlets seem most interested in how all of it reflects on Trump, what Trump thinks, etc.

CNN did the best isolated job of CHOP/CHAZ because they have the best reporter. But CHOP/CHAZ - mostly comprised of groups 3 and 4 - resulted in two murders and a lot of fear, and darn well should have been covered by the mainstream media, just as Ruby Ridge was covered, Oregon ranchers, etc.

7. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion. Just using his post as a prompt.

I think straight news cable and local and network TV spends most of its time on looting, fire and violence. As was ever thus in a picture-driven medium. Relatively much less time is spent on process or politics - even as it reflects on Trump.

Talk / panel cable is reliably awful on all of it, whether it's roasting Trump or showing the same B-roll of a burning CVS again and again.

Local and national papers are better about what's really happening, and trying to understand what's really happening - and why.

Most electronic / internet press is better about presenting the settings and the consequences and the stakes and the deep dives on the political and philosophical foundations of what's going on.

Interesting that no one has mentioned the police or local politicians or white supremacist / boogaloo boys as separate groups with separate goals and agendas.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Met Whitlock once at an NCAA tournament game in the press room. Talked to him briefly, an SJ.com came up. This is when he used to post here. He basically said he posted stuff just to stir the shit and see/get a reaction. I think he's taken his message board game to the masses.

Liut likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

was he wearing the fedora spill the real details

sgreenwell and Songbird like this.
  11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Alas, no fedora.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted