1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clay Travis and his take on the LeBron vandalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Two things:

1. I'm surprised James thought of that event in relation to what happened to him.

2. Wouldn't James' rationale suggest that the picture be publicized so people can see what happened?

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I was actually surprised James could make the analogy. I think the fact that I am surprised indicates that I have stereotyped LeBron as a dumb jock.

I also think it never occurred to LeBron that some guy on the internet would accuse him of possibly planting a fake story and needing to provide evidence.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, LeBron misused the analogy. If he applied the analogy to his own situation he would have shown the picture.

4. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

Here are two stories on the incident.

LeBron James’s house spray-painted with a racial slur, police say

LeBron James' L.A. home vandalized with racist slur

Police got a report about the gate early Wednesday morning. They made a report and the gate had the racial slur on it. It was quickly painted over by the property management company.

There may not have been surveillance cameras at his house. This shouldn't be unusual since it is not his main residence. The story said the police were looking at seeing if surveillance cameras from neighboring properties might have recorded anything.

If you think about it, Clay, the property management company would move quickly to paint over it so it wouldn't draw a lot of traffic and curiosity seekers. That is what the neighbors would want. I'm sure these people are wealthy and, more importantly, influential.

If the person who committed this crime did this at night, it would be very difficult to get a good view of this person especially if the vandals didn't have previous offenses. If this person/s are caught, the most likely reason would be because usually people who do these things aren't smart enough to keep their mouths shut. This is just like Clay Travis isn't smart enough to avoid being a jackass.

Maybe Clay ought to learn something about journalism before he starts ripping real journalists. You have a right to say this Clay, just as I have a right to point out what an idiot you are.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Are we at the point now where someone has to say or do something absurd to be considered interesting?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I figured LeBron used the analogy because the noose at the African American Museum was left right where Till's casket is displayed.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that moment passed a long time ago. At the very latest, when MTV appeared

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Travis won't last. Hosts like him have to keep raising the dosage of the dog whistle to keep those types of listeners engaged. Fox would be wise to pair him with a female co-host to call him out on his BS (preferably someone of color) to make his stuff more palatable.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet ... Tagging victims are urged to cover it as soon as possible.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My first thought was, what self-respecting black woman wants to be second banana to a white guy who hates black people?

Then I realized... it's the role Sage Steele was born to play.

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

This is an approach that has led to much conjecture about Kaepernick and some of the finest conspiracy theories concocted by the board vigilantes.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking Robin Quivers. She makes $10 million a year and has a net worth of $45 million.

Draft saved Draft deleted