1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clay Travis and his take on the LeBron vandalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't like Clay Travis, but this post is Sean Spicer-esque.

QYFW likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People file false reports all the time.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

All he does is "ask questions," and the answer to almost all of them is "I don't know." It's bullshit, dog-whistle hot-take conjecture that shouldn't have ever seen the light of day.

Why did someone paint over the slur on the gate?

I don't know. Maybe you should find out before you write the piece.

Furthermore, they already had the paint to repaint the gate at the house?

And there was someone there to repaint it that early in the morning with the exact right color of paint and with that little amount of time passing between the call to police and the police arriving?

Yet no one in the entire neighborhood took a photo or video during this 1.5 hours?

If that’s all the evidence there is, could you even prosecute someone here and get a conviction?

So is there no surveillance camera present? Or, even more strangely, was the surveillance camera not working on that night when the alleged spray painted slur happened?

LeBron James regularly employs security guards to protect him and his family. But he has no surveillance cameras on his home?

studthug12 likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

And police have never withheld evidence before now. Ever.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is absolutely a tone of, "I'm just asking questions!" to the column.

Don't get him wrong. He's not accusing LeBron of anything. He just wants to know why the rest of the media isn't asking these questions.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

given how much content he puts out -- from the radio, to twitter, to columns, to TV, periscope, etc. -- it's only a matter of time until he lets slip and says what everyone knows he's actually thinking. with luck, it'll be a career-ender. I like some of his takes well enough, and he does make valid points in some instances, but he's still operating from his own preconceived notions, many of which I find repugnant. you don't write that column without them.

He basically is saying that lebron or someone on his team orchestrated this racist incident as a way to curb favor with the public in advance of the Finals. If you're gonna go that route, do some fuckin leg work, as @MisterCreosote noted.

7. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Fox Sports is making a deliberate attempt to woo the substantial ignorant/racism denier demographic. Jason Whitlock is part of this effort claiming that racism doesn't affect black people other than poor ones. Jason went so far as to be a guest on Curt Schilling's Breitbart show although interestingly he didn't publicize this on twitter as he does with all of his other appearances or articles about him.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That is a stupid, dangerous attitude. A lot of racism seems to stem from jealousy, a loss of jobs, a loss of status. That runs up and down the socioeconomic ladder, and to say it's only in evidence away from the top is patently absurd.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's playing defense attorney.

I don't like what he's writing. He's a troll.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought Travis had a point about LeBron reaching with references to Emmett Till. But you have to wade through a lot of Travis being Travis to get there.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The analogy LeBron made was clumsy but he was not comparing the severity of the crime, just the need to publicly expose hateful acts. I also think one of the signs of cheapshot, hot take columnist is to over conflate an analogy.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    playthrough likes this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just curious....

How long is a black man required to keep the word "nigger" on the front gate of his family's home before sewage like Clay Travis is satisfied?

Draft saved Draft deleted