1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classy question?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

You think mocking a kid's faith in an interview room is a guy "willing to ask any question at any time?" See, to me (a guy who has not been to church in years) that is handling oneself -- and representing the organization you are credentialed through -- with an utter lack of class and professionalism.

I'll take the 10 guys who would let that softball -- which we hear way too often and always will -- sail by and let the game play itself out without their input. I am sure MU is correct in that this guy is not a douchebag, but this was first-rate douchebaggery.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I'm guessing that was the case. Whether it was in a locker room or at a coach's post game presser, I've seen Mike get his quote, click the recorder off, then leave. He knows what quotes he wants, and once he gets them he is fine with leaving so he can start writing. At least that seems to be the case with him after games.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeaaah.

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I'd wager DeArmond's been in this business a helluva a lot longer, and accomplished a helluva lot more, than many of the posters on this board.

I've been in a lot of pressers with him, heard him ask many provocative, edgy questions and often get provocative, edgy answers as a result. If that violates someone's idea of "professionalism," fine, keep running those bullshit "I've got to give credit to God" quotes in your section, or mundane game quotes that have been putting readers to sleep since, shit, Spnited was a teenager.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Nice false dichotomy. You make it sound like an either/or situation. Either you ask a provocative question following a throw-away line by some kid, or you are boring your readers and running trite shit. Well, you can choose to discard the "praise God" answers and still ask good, tough questions and be respectful. It's kind of part of being an adult.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

I wonder what Mike D. thinks of bloggers? I'm a big fan of his vblog.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've seen him have a lot of fun with it. He may, like most of here, have a face for radio, but he knows how to present a good story.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

I love his vblogs, especially when he gets creative with accents or costumes.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Tweety was asked the first question of Baylor's presser; Mike asked the second question -- the one being discussed -- and smirked and walked out after that. He didn't leave the room to go write his story; I don't know why he left the room. At Baylor, the interview room and media work room are the same space. After Baylor's presser, he was sitting about six feet away from where the players and coaches sit to answer questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted