1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classy question?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Mar 2, 2008.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I tend to shy away from the God questions, but I can specifically remember one. It was about a coach deciding to come back for another season or something along those lines, and he was talking about his faith. It was a one-on-one, and I asked him if he generally used his faith in Christ to make decisions like that.

I think it took me longer to preface the question than it did for him to answer it, just because I wanted to make sure he understood I wasn't being cynical or sarcastic, just trying to get an angle on it.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If players are going to base their answers on the principle of religion, why can't we as reporters, ask about it?

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

As a fellow smirking jackass, I could see how a guy could hear one too many religious answers and say something like that.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't take issue with that line of thinking, with one caveat. You ask a question hoping to get an answer that's going to lend something to the story. But this question comes off more as a person trying to be snarky rather than seeking a legit answer to a legit question. Seriously, from a value-added perspective, what was the purpose.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I thought it came off smarmy, just because I knew he asked the question.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's condescending.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Condescending, probably. But knowing Mike, it's not a shocker. He used to ask some questions that came out of left field, but then you'd read his stories and realize the angle / lead he was getting after.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, god forbid a sports guy being snarky for god's sake. we all know how athletes are the perfect picture of professionalism during interviews.

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy New Member

At a state championship game couple years ago with two private schools playing -- one being an all-boys school.

Two student sections began chants back and forth...

School A starts saying "We've got girls... We've got girls..."

Moments later the opposing crowd counters... "Those aren't girls... Those aren't girls..."

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I found out one of my reporters asked a question like that, I'd have a little talk with junior.

If it were a kid, it'd be one of those "don't do it again or else" convos. If it were a veteran who knows better, someone would be cleaning out his desk.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

We can.

But I think all questions should be politely phrased.

Draft saved Draft deleted