1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classy question?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

During the post-game after Baylor's game win over Missouri, a Baylor player began his answer to a question with something like, "I want to give God credit...." and went on from there. Yes, it's cliche, but the kid seemed sincere. Out-of-town reporter then asks, "Well, where was God the last few years?" Kid didn't miss a beat and talked about how God was there through the hard times, kept the team together, so on. After the player finished his answer, out-of-town reporter smirked, got up and walked out. It was kind of awkward. Talking with some other writers later, everyone agreed he was pretty much a jackass. Thoughts?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

OK to think it, not say it. Can't be flippant about someone's religious beliefs.

4. Flip Wilson

I'm not totally sure who the guy was. I have an idea, but don't want to name names if I'm not 100 percent certain. He wasn't a regular, so I assume he's on the Missouri beat somewhere.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is a story for The Big Lead!

6. I have no problem with that. It's usually safer to just ignore stupid religious cliches, but I don't think there's anything wrong with asking the obvious.

7. Flip Wilson

Agreed, there's nothing wrong with asking the obvious. But the smirk and the walking out were too much, I think.

8. True.

9. The player was Tweety Carter, right? I've heard him start by praising God before and it struck me as very sincere. In fact, I thought the kid was very classy. He became one of my favorite college basketball players during a press conference.

10. And let me add, he said these things after a loss. He wasn't thanking God for a victory.

11. Flip Wilson

It was Tweety, and I've heard him say the same things after a loss, too. He just happened to say them after a win tonight.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Doesn't bother me when guys say that stuff, and I'm not very religious. Many of them are telling you what they believe and are sincerely answering the question.

Or course, I never use those quotes, but I appreciate honest answers.

It does suck when that's all a player will say, though. I've covered a few like that, and I hope they didn't talk like that all the time. Would make for some funny papers to grade for their professors, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted