1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic Simpsons tonight on Fox

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I realize this was probably a one-off deal, but how great would it be if Fox did this every summer? Instead of showing last season's reruns, dip into the vault and do a summer season of "greatest hits"?
    With the 300-plus episode catalogue they have, there's dozens of great ones that people haven't seen in years. DVD owners notwithstanding, of course.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tito Puente....

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Tito Puente Tito Fuentes

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Are they even allowed to do this because of syndication? I can't speak for every market, but in Rhode Island the FOX affiliate shows two episodes per weeknight.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would think Fox owns the right to show any episode they want in prime time...

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd also have to think, given the number of stations that air syndicated episodes and the number of episodes they air, breaking out an older episode won't impact the local affilates' ratings too much.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Man, seasons 2-5 or so of the Simpsons, I would put up against ANY comedy, ever.

That was a great trip into a time before the Simpsons got too weighed down by its own cliches. And when Homer was written as a lovable, yet oafish, dude, instead of a simple buffoon.

Some nice One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest references too. Think I spotted Charley Cheswick and Mr. Harding in the asylum.

7. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

The guy who did Michael Jackson's voice nailed it. I still remember watching that episode when it originally aired and thinking for the first few minutes, "No way they actually got MJ to do that . . . is there?"

8. chester

chester Member

I thought I read it was actually MJ, but there was some contractual thing or some other reason why they had to call him by a pseudonym in the credits. I could be way wrong, though.

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

It was Michael Jackson.

http://www.thesimpsons.com/episode_guide/0301.htm

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_Jackson

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

God I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I haven't seen that episode since it originally aired but I remember it so clearly.

I would love to see it again.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

But the songs were NOT sung by MJ because of contractual issues

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That also explains another Jackson tribute the creators did. Instead of the couch gag last week, they had the full video for "Do the Bartman" at the beginning of the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted