1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic/ iconic movies you've never seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 15, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm used to heathens like Song, but I've never heard of somebody who loved Star Wars and hated Empire. Ever. That is so odd to me that I don't even understand it.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It was a matter of principle. Every movie should have an end.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It has an end, it just isn't the end of the entire story. The end is all but one of the main characters escaping Cloud City and making it back to the relative safety of the Rebel Alliance fleet.

It was very clear by the time the movie came out that it was the second part of a trilogy. Would it have worked if there had been no Return of the Jedi? No, but that was never the intent. But there is resolution of the primary conflict within that movie. The Rebels are scattered by the Imperial attack on Hoth and have to find their way back together.

The odd part to many was that, for the most part, the heroes lose. Luke's training with Yoda is as much failure as success and he leaves with it incomplete. Han is captured, frozen and carried off to a crime lord who wants him dead. Vader defeats Luke and cuts off his hand. The best he and his friends can manage is to escape. I can get how that might be dissatisfying to some, but to many it was by far the best film in the series.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's their and/or you opinion. Not mine. While I knew going in it was the middle installment of a trilogy, I nevertheless left the theater ticked off enough that I abandoned the franchise. I hear it's struggled along OK without me.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I've seen 94.

Missed
    Schindler's List and I have no intention of seeing it. Can't watch Holocaust movies.
    The General- Buster Keton
    Intolerance- D.W. Griffith
    LOTR: FOTR Tried to watch a LOTR movie. couldnt get through the first one.
    Sunrise, never heard of it.
    Swingtime. Astair and Rodgers

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Blazing Saddles...and yet I have seen almost every other Brooks film and loved everyone of them.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As to the AFI list, I can't beleive The Sixth Sense is on it but Manchurian Candidate is not

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Godfather (all of them), Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and Caddyshack. A little off topic, but I didn't watch Seinfeld, The Wire or The Sopranos, either. Yeah, I have some big holes in my cultural literacy. I make up for it with charm. :D

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I never saw The Client.

I've seen 28 of the films on the list. Citizen Kane isn't one of them.

10. 56.
    Two of them I have NO plans to see.
    Singing in the Rain.... I hate musicals.
    Gone with the Wind.... I'm not sitting through a near four-hour movie!

SFIND likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Even though I grew up during that time, I never saw many of the '80s classics, such as Revenge of the Nerds and many, many others. Probably because I lived in the country and we didn't have a VCR until I was a senior in high school (or maybe it was when I was already in college. The memory fades ...).

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

But I hear you were great in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted