1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic/ iconic movies you've never seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've seen 46 of the movies on the list, to this point.

I really like "Sunset Boulevard," and I think it was ahead of its time in many ways. But you should be prepared for:

- Overacting by the female lead that dates it somewhat. It's not how someone would play mental illness now.
    - A romantic subplot with the male lead's secretary, if I recall, that is completely out of place and adds pretty much nothing to the film.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think he meant that he could see aliens not liking "Shawshank."

Ace likes this.
  3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree. It's a huge, obvious hole for me and I know it's a movie I would enjoy immensely, but I just haven't ever gotten around to it.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I've seen 43 on the list.

Probably the top two on there I haven't seen/would be interested in seeing are Citizen Kane and Schindler's List.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gone with the Wind — I take it as a badge of honor by this point, being from the Deep South and never having seen it.

Of movies released in the last 50 years, The Princess Bride is probably the one that jumps off the list. Don't know how I've missed it, honestly. It's on cable enough that I should just DVR it and plow through it at some point.

I've kind of seen Blade Runner. I went to a screening at an artsy movie theater a few years ago, on a work night. It was so dark I fell asleep about 20 minutes in and woke up at the end.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You should definitely see Schindler's list. I think it's the last movie that Liam Neeson made where he saved people's lives without having to threaten, track down, beat up and kill bad guys.

Citizen Kane is undeniably a great movie but is more loved by cinephiles and is not a breezy romp or anything.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Schindler's List, 12 Years a Slave and Raging Bull are of the same ilk for me — great films, definitely worth seeing, but you'll never want to sit through them again.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Citizen Kane is overrated. But we've had that discussion before.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I haven't seen:

Star Wars (any of them)
    Star Trek (any of them)
    Grease
    Schindler's List
    Gone With the Wind
    Close Encounters

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Of those movies, I would go out an see Grease first. I love that movie.

Otherwise, I get the sense from the films that you are avoiding that you may have been anally probed by aliens. Might want to see a shrink or get some ointment.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm that way with Forrest Gump, too.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I just saw Blade Runner for the first time a month ago on HBO. I wasn't impressed. It was too pseudo-philiosophical for me. I could have lived without ever seeing it.

I've never seen the Godfather, Raging Bull, Singing in the Rain, Gone with the Wind, and most of the AFI list. I've never seen any Star Trek.

Draft saved Draft deleted