1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

classic herm edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 1, 2007.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I don't want to belabor all this, but:
    1. HE HAD NO QUARTERBACK LAST SEASON! How anyone could blame the coaching for the Jets' collapse last season is beyond me. I agree that Herm was pretty much a weasel once he saw that the season was lost, but I don't know many coaches who can perform miracles with a third-string QB. I don't think there were any saviors on the waiver wire in the middle of the season.
    2. Curtis Martin had a phenomenal year in '04. Led the NFL in rushing all the while attributing his success to his heavier workload, including getting more preseason carries. It's easy to say in retrospect that he should have rested him more, but all the evidence was that the workload was good for Martin.
    3. Yes, Herm's Jets lost some games they should have won. Which makes him different from other coaches how, exactly? Mangini's Jets lost to Buffalo at home a couple of weeks ago when they could have taken a real stranglehold on a playoff berth. Does that make Mangini a bum, too?
    4. That 5-6 finish is definitely a black mark, but it's not fair to look at that and ignore the fact that they won 10 games and came within a missed FG of reaching the AFC championship game that year.

BYH, you're right that I'm a Jets fan and as such, I have no particular love for Herm. But holy crap, some people on here are blaming him for everything but Namath's knees. The guy's teams make the playoffs more often than not, so he must be doing something right.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But hey, at least those kids are leaving Illinois behind for a quality program. :D

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Broadway, I'm not saying the Jets would have been good with Bollinger. But they could not have been worse than they were with Testaverde, who was several degrees beyond toast. For all the talk about how Herm gets everyone to believe, he never expressed a whit of faith in Bollinger.

The Jets would have been a bad team last year, but they would have been better if they weren't coached by a guy focused almost solely on his next destination.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

1. I'm not blaming Herm for the Jets' collapse last season, but he could have at least earned his paycheck and tried. He didn't do that. He checked out emotionally and mentally four games into the season.
    2. True, at the time Curt said the increased workload was good. But if Herm was interested in the big picture, he would have rested him a little bit. I mean, Herm and RBs coach Bishop Harris almost had a fistfight on the sideline in SD in the playoffs because Herm didn't want to use LaMont. Turns out Harris was right.
    3. My point was that Herm wouldn't have needed amazing heroics a week later had he won the Buffalo game.
    4. Yeah, and they missed reaching the AFC final because of Herm's inept game and clock management in the Pittsburgh game.

He does a lot of things right, from Monday to Saturday. On Sundays, well. . .

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

As you might have guessed, I'm a fan of neither school. But all some Illini fans talk about is "How could he go to Kansas?"

Well... it's Kansas. Rock Chalk Jayhawk. Allen Fieldhouse. It's Kansas. I can't stand Kansas. But I get it.

Threadjack over. Viva la Hermball!

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

;D

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

You play to lose the war. HELLO!

8. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Here's what we've established:

BYH hates Herman Edwards more than life itself. Herm could win the Super bowl this year and he's still be a poor in-game coach. Still be a fraud. In fact, Herm could win the Super bowl NEXT YEAR, too, and he'd still be slated for Hell.

Suburbanite did not like chatting with Herm in the halls after practice. A coach with beat up team and no hope of the playoffs wanted job security, but it was wrong of him to go through the media for it. No coaches do that.

Broadway Joe has a sane football mind.

Herman Edwards is now being blamed for Martin's injury woes. Of course, if Herm was handing it off to Lamont Jordan, it woudl have been, 'why wasn't he using the guy who led the NFL in rushing? What a bum!' Priest Holmes broke down at 30 or 31 too ... guess we can blame that on being overworked by Vermeil ...

Guys ... give it up. He's a successful black coach. You cannot argue that. He's made the playoffs 4 of 6 years.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Who the hell made it about race?

Whitlock? Did you swipe A_F's password?

And I'm not worried about what I'll have to say when Herm wins the Super Bowl because it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. EVER. Pigs will fly out of the asses of humans before Herm Edwards wins a Super Bowl. Hondo will have a clue about something before Herm Edwards wins a Super Bowl. This board will be bought by Lupica before Herm Edwards wins a Super Bowl.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

BYH will last 10 seconds before Herm wins a Super Bowl

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Corrected, because that's how you should have put it.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

But he was right not to have faith in Bollinger. Any faith would have been a real miscalculation. The job of a coach is not blind faith in his pllayers but an accurate awareness of what they can and can't do. Bollinger can't play QB at an NFL level & Herm knew that.

And AF, you said it sarcastically, but you're right. Herm could win the SB & would still be a bad game coach. Lots of bad game coaches and teams with other flaws win titles. You just have to have less than the guys on the other side.

Draft saved Draft deleted