1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

classic herm edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 1, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

And Mark Vlasic.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry but I think when you've got a hot hand at QB, you stick with him.

Not saying the Chiefs would have won the Super Bowl if Huard stayed in the lineup. But they had a good thing going.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

First of all, backing into the playoffs is when you lose and get in. Herm won and got in. That's not backing in. I wouldn't even say the Chiefs got lucky. They won the game they had to win and other teams did not. They made the playoffs fair and square.

Herm's a decent coach, not a great coach by any means, but a decent NFL coach. He's put competitive teams on the field on a regular basis and he's never had more than average talent to work with. Some of you guys have such a hard-on to criticize him that it's made you illogical.

4. i explain herm's little tirade in today's kc star... herm is slick.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

What broadway joe said.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh good. Herm's head bootlicker has chimed in. Guess those brooms are getting dusty.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I know I'm in suspense.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For on the field performance, Herm is a decent coach, middle of the pack, has serious flaws as a game day coach, but can get most of his players to play with enthusiasm. Off the field, a self deluded provocateur & prevaricator

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Herm's a decent coach. When are you going to get past the hatred and give him his due for what he's accomplished, BYH? When Trent Green went down, most people had no idea that Damon Huard was even still in the league. The Chiefs made it through that, and they won their last game, as they needed to, to get into the playoffs. He deserves credit. They may even beat Indianapolis. Herm's gameplan would normally be to give the ball to Larry Johnson 40 times anyhow. Against the Colts, he might rush for 600 yards.

10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Love how all the credit goes to Huard, yet none goes to the coach who rallied the team around a aging backup quarterback when all looked lost early. These guys were what, 1-3? 1-4? It's easy to just throw in the towel and call it a season.

Jeff Garcia is getting all the credit for Philly ... but Andy Reid deserves a ton, too. Ditto for Vince Young and Jeff Fisher.

For reasons I dont know, only a handful of coaches get accolades in this league ... Parcells and Belichick.

It's weird I tell ya.

Oz, you're not trying to say Vermeil had a better year coaching the Chiefs two years ago than Herm did this year, are you? Because you'd be wrong.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

No Willie Roaf, no Tony Richardson, no Priest Holmes, no bona fide wide receiver ... you are right Herm deserves some credit. Probably a lot. Beat Cleveland or Miami and we might be talking about Herm for coach of the year.

12. lono

lono Active Member

BYH: Wittingly or unwittingly - or even half-wittingly - in your analysis and keen insight, you've single-handledly solved the single most important mystery in the pro football universe this year:

Herm Edwards is the coach Michael Vick needs to reach the divine state of godliness his fanboys say he deserves. BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Hounds, please pick the white courtesy phone ...

Draft saved Draft deleted