1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

classic herm edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 1, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'd rather go 9-7 and make the playoffs instead of 10-6 and not make it. It's not Herm's fault that 9-7 was good enough for him while 10-6 wasn't for Vermeil, who by the way had two winning seasons in five years and one playoff berth.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Kansas City beat the following teams with Damon Huard as starter:

Seattle, Arizona, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego. Notice a trend? Throw out San Diego, and KC beat four teams from the NFL's worst division with Huard at QB. Whee. I think Brodie Croyle may have done enough to win those games.

Huard's line at Miami, a 13-10 loss: 15-38, 201 yds, 0 TDs. Big loss there. How many games has KC lost where you can solely blame Trent Green?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Seattle's in the playoffs, and the 49ers beat the Broncos to put the Chiefs in the playoffs. And taking out the team with the NFL's best record is a little disingenuous.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Perhaps, but Kansas City was very opportunistic that game with two early turnovers, plus a, what was it, 54-yard game-winning field goal? The win over Seattle came when the Seahawks had injuries galore, and San Fran is, frankly, an awful team. But so is Denver. The point is that while Huard has played very well this year, the folks in KC whining for him to start this Saturday are idiotic. I highly doubt Huard would have lit up the Chargers in San Diego or Baltimore.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't think Huard is the answer for KC any more than Griese is the answer for Chicago. But his contributions in keeping the Chiefs from falling apart in the first half of the season shouldn't be overlooked.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Damon Huard did what a backup QB should: Keep the team afloat until the starter can come back. How that snowballed into the push to keep him the starter never made much sense.

That being said, I believe Trent Green is 37. The team may want to start developing another QB. Huard is 35.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Steve DeBerg, Dave Krieg, Joe Montana, Steve Bono, Elvis Presl ... er, Grbac, Trent Green ... notice a trend? They haven't tried to develop a QB since the horrific failed Todd Blackledge Project.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Here's why:

Huard: 11 TDs, 1 INT, 1,878 yds, 7.7 yds per attempt, 5-3 as a starter
    Green: 7 TDs, 9 INTs, 1,342 yds, 6.8 yds per attempt, 4-4 as a starter

With Huard under center, the Chiefs racked up 30 pts against the Chargers and exceeded 30 pts four times. With Green under center, the Chiefs scored nine in the rematch against the Chargers and exceeded 30 pts once, in the season finale against the dog-ass Jaguars.

And King Creole: to punish the guy for having one bad game against Miami is pretty disingenious. Dolphins do have a pretty good defense. Huard's problem was having that dud when Herm was looking for an excuse to save face and not look like a liar. Which he is.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

So why punish Green for looking bad against Baltimore and San Diego on the road? Your point is valid, of course. I'm just trying to point out that Huard hasn't been the Tom Brady lookalike many Chiefs fans are making him out to be. Green had to go up against much better defenses this year.

Bottom line is Chiefs go 9-7 no matter who the QB was.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Except the moment that they did have a good backup, they let him go. And so Rich Gannon led the Raiders to the Super Bowl while Elvis Grbac continued to lead the Chiefs nowhere.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Oh, for the days of Bill Kenney.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I was trying to forget that. Thanks. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted