1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

classic herm edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 1, 2007.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Based on today's threads, I don't think he's coming out ahead today.

I still think some KC fanboys are conveniently changing their tune. There were people coming out of the woodwork to say KC would win 40-21, and now suddenly the tune has changed.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, Posnanski did nail it. Like I said earlier this week, Herm Edwards would have been smart to look at the Steelers-Colts tape from last January to see what would work.

Everyone presumed the Steelers would simply run, run, run to control the clock and play keep away. So what did the Steelers do? They won the coin flip, took the ball and passed nonstop over that defense. Pick up 5, 6, 7 yards on first down, which gave them two downs to run for first downs. The Steelers scored touchdowns on their first two drives and then decided to run, run, run after that.

Herm Edwards should have looked at that footage to see how you beat the Colts in January in the RCA Dome. Instead, he presumed they would be able to run on the Colts all day, just because they call run plays. Doesn't work that way.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

For once, the offense let KC down. They could very well have survived six 3-and-outs. But not seven.

I said Green needed to sit in the second half on another thread, and I still believe that. But he wasn't the only problem. There were drops galore. And even the Colts can stop dive plays if they know they're coming. Why KC didn't use last week's game plan against Jacksonville is beyond me. They ran the ball well that game because they used some variety. The showed the end-around look a handful of times before using it. There were draws and sweeps.

The offensive performance was deplorable, especially considering what the defense did. They made Peyton Manning to Peyton Manning things, and they held Indy out of the end zone for nearly three quarters despite barely coming off the field.

But the truth is, KC hasn't been nearly tough enough to win a statement road game since Derrick Thomas died.

4. OZ - bingo! Pittsburgh, New England and San Diego created the blue print on how to expose the Indy defense and disrupt the Colts offense. Did everyone forget how the Steelers did it? They lined Heath Miller up against Dwight Freeney, he released and ran straight up the field and caught the ball between the LBs and Safeties for a big opening play. It was from that moment forward, Indy was caught on their heels not able to instinctively move to the ball.

I think Herm saw the yard per game numbers, the film, and listened to the hype and went with the run-run-pass. It failed and he couldn't adjust - game.set.match.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The Chiefs have awful wideouts.

Edwards had no options.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Herm Edwards is Michael Vick

7. Tony Gonzalez and Kris Wilson are good pass receivers at tight-end, there's no reason why Green couldn't use the play-action and go for the soft middle of the field against Bob Sanders and his ultra-aggressive run stopping attack.

Trent Green didn't have a good game, Huard is a career backup for a reason.

Surely Indy fans are being realistic about next week's matchup in Baltimore. There's no way Addai gets nearly the yards on the ground he accumulated this week versus KC and Steve McNair is playing better than Green this year.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Typewriterhill has put away the Buffalo action figures and gotten out the Ravens action figures.

Ray Lewis companion pieces sold separately.

9. Dye - are the only things you play with are a keyboard and a mouse?

Draft saved Draft deleted