1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

classic herm edwards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jan 1, 2007.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

What he said.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK, here's the thing (and I don't really have a dog in the hunt, though I don't like the Chiefs).

Yes, the Colts had something like 16 guys in the box pretty much every play. And you know what? EVERY FUCKING FOOTBALL FAN IN AMERICA knew that's what the Colts were going to do. You really mean to tell me Herm and his staff couldn't come up with SOMETHING during an entire week that might get them a first down or two? Maybe even a sustained drive?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, you watched the game. Was it bad play calling, or was it crappy offensive line play and Trent Green looking 1,000 years old?

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Don't get me wrong, Green was a travishamockery. I just thought KC looked unprepared for what Indianapolis was doing on defense. And what Indy was doing on defense is EXACTLY what everyone knew they would do.

Basically, I'm saying the Indianapolis defense is who we thought they were. And the Chiefs let them off the hook.

5. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

If you're going to say the Chiefs offense sputtered under Herm, how about giving the guy credit for a fine defensive effort?

Wait - let me guess. Manning simply had a bad game.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, this might have been solved HAD HERM JUST STUCK WITH THE HOT HAND SIX WEEKS AGO.

But no. Herm painted himself in a corner, said he'd go back to Trent, then Huard looked good, then he had a bad game and Herm, who hates being painted as a liar even when he's lying, went back to Trent. Nice work Herm. I'm sure Huard couldn't have thrown for 100-odd yards in a playoff game.

Oh and hi A_F! Good to see you. A fine defensive effort? Not that good. They gave up 23 points.

You should know this: YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. Big fucking deal if the defense played well (and gave up 23 pts). You play to win the game and the Chiefs didn't win. Against the crappiest rush defense in football, with one of the three best backs in the game, the Chiefs lost. Another fine effort for Herm. Put the anoiting oil away.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

No, I'll give him all the credit in the world for the defense's performance. They did enough to win the game.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

With all that had been said before the game about how awful the Colts defense was, you would have thought 23 points would have been low enough for the Chiefs to win.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No one in their right mind would count on "Damon Huard's hot hand" any longer than absolutely necessary. You're talking about Damon Huard. It's not even like when Tommy Maddox suddenly turned good for one season, because Maddox had actually been a guy you expected something from at one point. I suppose when Huard had to step in for Dan Marino in '99--and actually played fairly well--Jimmy Johnson should have stuck with Huard and kept Dan Marino on the bench?

10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

The Chiefs lost. They were -7 point underdogs. The Colts, in the preseason, were picked by many to be in the Super Bowl.

What's your point? Herm is a crappy coach because they lost? He's a fraud because he didn't go to Damon Huard?

For the 9,451th time, if you want to rip the guy because he says something, and then does something else, fine. I can totally live with that. 95% of coaches do that. I bet you love Nick Saban.

I think the remaining questions here:
    Is Herm a good coach?
    Yes. He must be doing something right to make the playoffs 4 of the last 6 years. His teams have NEVER been expected to win a title. How else do you grade a coach besides their teams advancing to the playoffs?
    Is he the best coach in the league?
    Of course not.
    Is he shitty with clock mgmt?
    There appears to be evidence he struggles with this.

What are the outstanding issues?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, I can't stand nick saban. But he is what he is. He never tried to paint himself as different and better than the rest of his scummy, lying ilk. Thats why Herm is a fraud. And a TERRIBLE coach to boot. Again: As soon as the going got tough in Long Island/New Jersey, he got out. Look at what Eric Mangini did with Herm's leftovers. How you continue to defend Herm, when someone took his leftovers and went 10-6, is beyond me.

We also discussed earlier on this thread the incredible good fortune Herm's had to make the playoffs in those four seasons. Four final week playoff berths. Wow. He's a coach who can barely get someone else's good players into the playoffs. Put him in Canton.

Appears to be evidence he struggles withi clock management? Understatement of the century.

You want to hump Herm, that's fine. But stop insulting our intelligence.

And no, Damon Huard is not going to the HOF. But he had a great eight-week stretch as the Chiefs surged into contention. You're telling me it's a good idea to replace Huard with a guy still shaky from nearly getting beheaded in week one?

Edit: And thank you, buckweaver.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The KC fanboys expected KC to score 50 against the Colts. They did not. Thus, Herm sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted