1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic Car Shows

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Aug 24, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Believe it or not, Tony, I have actually thought about this.
    I mean, who wants to see a restored K-Car from 1985? Not me.
    A 1999 Suburban, though, might be a head-turner in 30 years, much like a Dusenberg (sp?) is today -- holy crap, look at the size of that thing, etc.
    I bet the Honda Element would look neat in 40 years. (I'm partial, I drive one).
    The Toyota Matrix.
    The Chevy HHR.
    Those Nissan Altimas and Maximas that are all over the place now.
    The Crossfire.
    Those are a few of my ideas.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd just like to second how cool the follies are. Completely amazing, and I'm not even a big car buff.

My dad has a 41 Ford that he's working on (and has been for 15 years). I think we've all worked on it at some time.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Z fan. But the ZX wouldn't lead my choices because that's when Nissan got away from what made that car great.

I'd want one of the following:

240Z - It was the original concept of the idea, and made the competitors think. It possessed pretty good power, had great seats and was pieced together affordably. The only drawback were bumpers so chintzy that you could almost bend them with your hand.

Mid- to late-70s 280Z - Better power than the 240, and possessed much stronger bumpers (the 260 lasted one year, wasn't very emissions-friendly and the fuel-injected 280Z was a far superior mechanical model). As I think I've posted before, my first machine was a '77 280Z with aftermarket turbocharger. Terrific car that really ticked off the overly defensive domestic car fans.

Mid-90s 300Z - When Nissan finally stopped worrying about luxury with the Z and went back to its roots, it became a superb car again. The twin-turbo version, at the time, could kick Corvettes of the same era off the road, costs $5K less and was a much more practical daily commuter. The only drawback is finding a mechanic who didn't detest performaning routine maintenance on the turbo versions because Nissan did a massive cram job to fit the turbos and a V-6 in that engine bay.

I'd take a later-model 350Z, and perhaps the 370Z will be OK. But the release of the GT-R relegates the Z to secondary status with Nissan.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Jim Rome would laugh at me, but I always dug the Merkur Scorpio, dating back to when the Ford dealership Dad sold for had one on the lot.

[​IMG]

And the BMW from Sixteen Candles was pretty sweet also.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Love old pick up trucks - specially the Ford F1's and Dodge Power Wagons.

My favorite car show to attend has always been the Hershey Antique Car Show held first week in October.

If you are near Detroit The Henry Ford Museum has a great collection of cars.

6. lono

lono Active Member

Z06 Corvette

Shelby GT500

BMW M3

Dodge Challenger/Charger/Magnum SRT8

Chrysler 300 SRT8

Honda S2000

Volkswagen GTI

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I work with a guy who has restore an LTD and a Fairmont(?), and he says the RX-7s and the Zs will be the ones from the 1970s and early 1980s.

He also mentioned the Ford Ranger pickup trucks could be in high demand as well.

I agree with the Celica and don't forget the Supra.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hopefully in 50 years, those that run off gasoline will be considered classic.

9. KG

KG Active Member

My future lover:

[​IMG]
    1967 Mustang Shelby GT500

10. KG

KG Active Member

Then when they do change it, they usually don't improve the car.

1991 Toyota MR2: Awesome little car.
    [​IMG]

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder: Full of fail.
    [​IMG]

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is my "other" car (although not this exact one...mine is maroon (original paint)). It is a 1962 Buick Special four-door sedan that I bought as a college graduation gift to myself 10 years ago. It had been in the same family since new, and I got it for $1250 with 69,000 miles on it. It has the first V-6 ever made (Fireball, for you car buffs), a two-speed automatic, no power steering and no power brakes. Other than a new radiator, a changeover to an alternator and seat belts (they were an option that year), it's all original.

I take this to a few car shows each year. I love walking away and watching other people look it over. Also, there's seemingly hundreds of Fords or Chevys at these shows. I have yet, in my 10 years of owning this car, to see another one just like mine.

12. We had a car show here over the weekend. An antique car show mind you.
    Dude showed up sporting a 1991 bright yellow Geo Metro (wait for it) convertible.
    He paid the registration fee, despite being told he could show the car but it would not qualify for any prizes, muchless be judged.
    Didn't matter, the guy, probably pushing 50, was proud as hell of the car. He stood around buffing it like there was no tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted