1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic board games?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by copperpot, May 14, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Loved that All-Star Baseball game, at least until I tried to create my own teams, like I did for every other baseball game. But I wasn't crafty enough to make the spinner work on top of my "revised" discs. So I went back to my hand-me-down dice baseball game, which also qualifies on this thread.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At least one of us is going to learn something, here, but let's play on:

Clue is of British origin (originally Cluedo, in England) and was first brought to market for public consumption under that name after WWII. Our family had one of the original-design boards, with the original-design card art. I'd kill for it, today.

I'm going to look at the Columbo link, now. Hmm, I guess I'm not, because it disappeared.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No Jack of Diamonds for me. Queen of Spades, only.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I got this for my wife as a gift at some point, but only because she's such a fan of the TV show. I don't think we've ever played it, although as a family we play Clue every so often.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The Ukraine is weak!

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Bonkers is fun
    Bonkers is nice
    Bonkers is never
    The same game twice.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

With my boys 6 and 8 now, we play board games and introduced them to Stratego, Monopoly and Sorry!! Good times and good memories.

No mention of Art Linkletter's Game of Life.

Strat o Matic is the best bball game. Damn, I remember Fred Lynn hit .650 against righties and .200 against lefties. Then you had Nolan Ryan whose whole card was filled was strikeouts yet you roll snake eyes with Johnny Lemaster and you hit a grand slam to win the game; awesome.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The 5-year-old hack is going through a strong board game phase right now. His latest acquistion is Mouse Trap - 50 cents at a yard sale and all the parts except the rubber band. But he also adores Sorry, Trouble, Hungry Hippos, Connect 4, Guess Who, Operation and Chutes and Ladders. I think he's finally outgrown Candy Land, thank God.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is there anything better than someone leading with, say, the four of diamonds...then you slapping down the bitch...then someone following with the three of diamonds...then someone following with an off-suit card?

The fourth player always found a way to slide the final fuck you card underneath the lead card.

Awesome. Best of times.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

The comic geek in me wants to buy this for my youngest.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We used Stratego to invent a very cool football board game.
    You better have some Miners on your defensive line, because I'm putting some Bombs on my offensive line.
    Scouts make good wide receivers.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The game is fun for dad and mother
    And sis can trouble her mean old brother
    That's pop-a-matic Trouble!

Draft saved Draft deleted